Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couple of questions from potential owner

I'm just starting to research the Outback Sport model after noticing a few out on the roads. I'm looking for a new car in the next few months, and was looking at a Honda Fit initially (which is definitely more cost-effective and would satisfy 90% of my needs) but I'm longing for my old 4Runner. A full-size SUV is out of the question these days but I can see myself in a smaller Subaru. I really like the Outback Sport from what I've seen/read so far; it seems like a good mix of ruggedness and practicality for basic city driving.

If you guys can help me out with some questions if really appreciate it!

To get the budget question out of the way, I'm comfortable spending $15k and could stretch to $16 or $17k if it's really worth it. Don't care about features but I'll gladly take them of it doesn't heavily increase the cost. Stick or auto, and somewhat picky about the cosmetic condition (no rust or big scratches or dents). Based on this, I think I'm looking at somewhere around a 2009 to 2012 model with between 50 and 100,000 miles. Am I in the ballpark as far as what I can get within my budget?

I'll own the car for at least 5 years, maybe a whole lot longer. Besides the head gasket, are there any expensive potential issues? Any problems which can't be detected before purchase? Approaching 100,000 miles, what would need work? what do you guys generally spend per year?

Some feedback on this would really help me decide if the Outback Sport is the right. Thanks!

• Like 1

I could have you in a great OBS from Rust Free Colorado for that or much less.

I had a 98 OBS with 330K on it when i sold it for $1800 and it's still going strong.  I picked up a 2000 OBS that needed engine work for $600 and its doing great.

I lifted both my OBS with Forster struts and I like the ride and the look.  Pretty easy to do.

I have a friend in Sullivan WI, who I set up his Mom with a 98 OBS.  If you want to take it for a test drive I'm sure he'd let you.

The 95-99 2.2 are pretty rock solid.  The newer 2.5 SOHC engines have a slight HG issue, but they leak externally so it's easy to spot and repair.  As long as you keep oil and coolant full, you can run them leaking for years.

I get 28-30 MPG on my OBS,  Timing belt at 105K the first time and I like to do them at 80 to 100K after that.  

Use NGK copper plugs and wires.  

Not much else.

All Subarus are well made, well built cars, that don't break much at all. 2009-2012 have minimal head gasket problems, if any at all. I wouldn't concern myself with that issue. $15-17K will buy you a nice well maintained car. Not really any items that can't be detected before purchase. If you buy directly from an owner, ask to see maintenance records on the car. A dealer will not have any maintenance records.

Members on this forum are loyal to Subaru because they have, and continue to have, great service from their cars. Most everyone on this forum owns more then one Subaru, which tells you they are really sold on the quality of the car. What is particularly nice about Subarus is that they are easier to work on then other cars. Fan belts are right up front. Major components like the alternator and starter are readily accessible. The engine being a flat boxer engine is nice and smooth in operation with good pulling torque. Subarus are "all wheel drive," which means great traction in snowy icy conditions, and even great traction during heavy rain.

Subarus are made to run for a long time. My 99 Outback has 235K miles on the odo. It still runs strong, with no oil burning. I would not hesitate to drive it on a 2K mile vacation trip, and feel confident that it would make the trip without a break down.

Join the Subie ownership club, you will glad you have.

Sill Impreza-based, but did get bigger, then, bigger again in 2013? I think;

from wiki;

The third generation Forester was styled by Subaru Chief Designer Mamoru Ishii.[11] The dimensions derive from engineers using the basic body structure of the Japanese-spec Impreza wagon with the rear platform of the U.S.-spec Impreza sedan.[11] The Forester's wheelbase has increased 3.5 inches (89 mm), with overall increases of 3.0 inches (76 mm) in length, 1.8 inches (46 mm) in width and 4.3 inches (110 mm) in height.[11] Notably, the third generation Forester forgoes the frameless side windows used on Subarus since the early 1970s. The third generation embraces the car based SUV, and leaves behind the older wagon design; it's larger in nearly every dimension and features a sloping roof line with more cargo space.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Wow thanks for all the responses! I guess one big attraction is that so many people love their Subarus - that's what I'm looking for. Good to hear that overall they're reliable.

Might have some more questions later but just wanted to say thanks the feedback so far!