Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1996 Legacy Outback 2.2L leaking coolant

1996 ej22 coolant leak

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dwerick

dwerick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Bay Area, California

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:08 PM

I recently got a 1996 Legacy Outback as my first car, and it has driven great for the first 5000 miles that I've owned it.

A couple days ago, however, I noticed some what I think is coolant below the engine. Then yesterday I noticed some more pooling beneath the engine. After checking again today, none has leaked.

It seems to me that the location of the leak is next to a radiator hose and timing belt cover (but not on the hose itself). You can see the two shiny drops of fluid in the attached picture.

There is no overheating, "off" smells, or any other behavior out of the ordinary-- just the leaking.

Any idea what may be the cause of this leak, and what I should do about it? I'm not too mechanically savvy, and this my first car, so any help is much appreciated!

Attached Files

Edited by dwerick, 22 August 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#2 mikec03

mikec03

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • greenfield, wi

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:04 PM

You are going to have to do a timing belt job unless you can determine that it has been done in last 60K miles.  One of the things changed often with a timing belt job, is the water pump.  The water pump gasket  could be leaking and giving the occasional drops.  Monitor the cooling level closely and look up the multiple videos on DIY timing belt changes.

ps/  you don't have an interference engine, so if you have a timing belt break, all it will do is strand you.  It wouldn't cause a catastrophic engine failure like the 1997 and latter cars would.

#3 dp213

dp213

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • Stanwood, WA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

The water pumps have a weep hole in them and when they start going bad they will drip coolant out of it.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Members
  • 13,031 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:54 PM

Not common for these pumps to drip. Usually the gasket goes bad when someone has replaced the pump and used a paper gasket. That pump does look old though.
Either way, Timing belt time.

#5 ThosL

ThosL

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • new england

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

A shop in Waterbury that does a lot of Subarus did the waterpump on my last Outback for a little over $300; timing belts should usually be done at the same time, beyond the scope of most non-professionals. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1996, ej22, coolant, leak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users