Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will 205/70R14's fit on my 93 L wagon without any modifications? 

Lastly, will a bigger than stock (185/70's) tire cause any detriment to the suspension or performance?

I am not interested in bigger wheels at this point, just tires.

Thank you.

Since you said you are not looking to replace wheels, first I would check if 205s can be mounted on your current wheels, which are probably only 5" wide. The '93 L came with 14x5.0jj steel wheels. The LS and LSi came with 14x5.5jj alloy wheels.

The wider tires will add about 3 lb extra un-sprung weight on each wheel. (I am just using specs for different sizes of the same Michelin Defender tire model on the TireRack.com site)

If you get snow where you live, you will see poorer performance with a wide low-profile tire in snow.

The section width of this tire is about 8.2" vs. 7.4" on the stock size. The diameter of the stock tire is 24.3" vs 25.4" on the 205. I don't know about clearance from suspension and brake components, someone may have that info for you.

The only alternate wheel/tire combination I've seen recommended for this car is P195/60-15.

Edited by BB's93LegacyL

Hey thanks BB

Lots I did not know... I have the alloy teardrop design wheels that I believe were on a 94 or 5 impreza or legacy. I was told I could run 195/70 14's on them by my tire shop. I really just want more rubber under there not wheel so I was gonna stick with the stock 14's and a 70% sidewall height rather than a lower wider 60 profile.

Yes I do get some snow so will be looking for an all season that tends better in that area.

Maybe the 195's would be the best first option for me?

Thanks again for sharing this info.

You're welcome. I drive on 14" wheels and I love them. I have two sets of wheels and tires, winter and summer. I drive Firestone Winterforce studdable dedicated winter tires. I have FWD only, and the Winterforce tires get me through snow that all-season tires just can't handle. My summer tires are a discontinued General all-season model. All of my tires are 185/70-14.

If I were you, and wanted to stay with the original wheels with just one set of year round all-season tires, I would concentrate on getting the best rated tires within your budget. You will probably find that you don't need more width in order to have good traction and performance in all weather conditions. It's not like this is a performance car. Right now, if I was in the market for all-season tires for my 93 Legacy wagon, I'd be looking at the General Altimax RT43, based on the tests done by TireRack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=207

They run about $60. each for the 185/70-14 OEM size.

When I first acquired my Subaru from my late father's estate, it had horrible tires - Goodyear Integrity. Check THEM out here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=AS

Making the switch to good tires that are suited to the seasonal conditions changed the whole personality of my '93 Legacy Wagon's performance and traction. It went from scary to fun.

Just curious, what make/model/mileage tires are you driving on now?

Best regards.

Edited by BB's93LegacyL

yeah, if you drive in snow, stick with the 195 size.

I put Forester wheels (15") with slightly larger than stock (diameter) tires on my 95 Legacy, but it also has Forester struts & springs, giving a bit more clearance

on%20car%20full.jpg

the spot to look at for clearance will be the lower spring perch on the struts - how much space do you have there? that will dictate how much more tire you can fit without rubbing.

Hey BB and Heartless, thank you. Right now I have Delta, Essex 185/70R14's (I never heard of them) and they will get me to the Fall.

I do want to keep the original size wheels (for now) and after doing some comparison am thinking of keeping the same width 185 but going with a slightly taller 80 sidewall for a bit more clearance and beefier look. Still thinking an all season, and you are the second person I heard from about the General Altimax. Will see if they have the size I want. 

Heartless thanks for the info on room needed, It is pretty tight in there but I think I'm most constricted on the back side of the tire, I have an inch or so before the strut perch. pretty sure a 195 and the taller 185 would work without any mods. For now i am not concerned with lifting to much, your rig looks great as she sits though... I may down the road just try to make enough room for 15's and a bigger tire. 

Thanks again guys, Big Help!!

Good question Olnick,

I want to keep this particular rig as close to stock as possible, not wanting to change much about the current suspension performance or look save just a few minor details (little bigger tires, and maybe a slight lift in rear.)

This is my grocery getter and distance road trip rig. I also have a 98 Dodge Ram with about 6-8 inches of lift that I play around with for that type stuff. (When I can afford it!)

I say I may change the wheel size later cause I just bought the rig about a month ago so just trying to figure it all out first before any major changes occur. If my needs warrant a taller ride than I will cross that bridge etc... 

I am thinking most of my future Mods on this one will be performance/engine related rather than wheels and tires...So prepare for a crap load of future questions! LOL.

Edited by Cyril

I install tires for a living. In the real world The Altimax RT-43 is a garbage tire. FWIW. We sell them, but they don't last. Actually the tires we get with the most defects/ tread warranty issues are Generals in general. The Altimax Artic is a decent snow tire, and the Grabber AT/2 is a good A/T. The AT/2 can also be found in sizes small enough for Subaru, for the time being.

take a look at Mastercraft tires - Made by Cooper without the Cooper price. I had the Avenger Touring put on the Legacy (on those dark wheels) and they have performed great. Excellent wear, quiet, very good traction - even in the winter.

I had bought a set of snows to fit the stock 14" steel wheels when I first got the car (it was winter already by the time we got it road worthy) and they were only used that first winter. Spring came, got the Avengers put on the 15" wheels, and never took them off the car again - two and a half years later they still have a lot of life in them - barely worn at all.

I did notice when I swapped them onto my Forester recently that the one rear had a little more wear on the inner edge than the others - but that is not the tire's fault - that is an issue with the car itself... worn suspension bushings most likely (they are pretty bad).

If you want an all season with a bit of a winter bite. See if you can grab a set of Kelly Explorer Plus tires in a 195/70/14. They have been discontinued for about a year now but were some of the last tires built on goodyears older machines and had older style non symmetrical agressive tread patterns. Should still be some out there. Everything out there now has a performance type tread due to the car markets changing... Pretty soon snow tires will be a requirement again because good all weather tread patterns are not going to exist much longer. Bigger wheels, higher speed ratings are eliminating those tires.

Now the very best tire, is the Nokian WRG3. I don't sell them, but another local shop does. They are crazy expensive though. I'm not sure how he sells them but he does. Pretty much a $30-50 premium per tire, but Nokian is the best in the world and nobody can argue that

Thanks Matt,

Interesting inside info!!

I for sure decided on the 195/70/14 size (pretty sure it will fit my 93 L wagon fine), and have been looking at other brands, Goodyear Vivas and Assurance are available at Walmart for a fair price. 

Not sure I can afford the best, as you mention but I will try to find the Kelly's as well.

I do appreciate your educated input, I have no prob outfitting my Dodge Ram with tires but these Subarus are all  a new thing to me....

If your looking at Walmart. See if wm.com has any 195/70/14 Douglas Xtra Trac II left in stock. They still might. If they do, they are actually the same tire as the Kelly Exp Plus.

Goodyear Viva 3= Goodyear Eagle RS-A with a little bit different tread. A " Priority Tire " made for Walmart.. Assurance Authority= Overpriced, just go for Viva

One of my regular Goodyear delivery drivers knows what goes on in the factory since he drives for them AND pays attn. Most of the guys can barely throw a tire straight.

I could double check the plus sizing book at work tomorrow but I'm pretty sure your right and a 195/70 will fit just fine. Your adding a marginal amount of height at 10mm

Hey Matt thanks for the great info again! If you do find out about the plus sizing on my 93 L wagon that would be awesome! So many different numbers out there, but I'm pretty sure as you say, the 195/70 14's should have the room, and still give me a bit more of a fuller look.

The Viva looks OK and is pretty affordable about $310.00 rollin out the door for a set.  But I may want to spend a bit more on something a little better, but I do like the Goodyear name.

Thanks heartless, I will see if I can get the Kelly's  here in town somewhere and check them out. I will have some snow to deal with here in eastern WA.

As I thought 185/70 vs 195/70 will fit. Book did not go back to 1993 so I had to just calc the sizes.. Their diamaters are 24.2 vs 24.7, so only 1/2" difference in total..

You can go to a 215/60/14 if you have room for the width. It's identical in diamater to a 195/70.. The section width is 8.5" so you need to measure 4.25" from the center to the outside of your current tire and check for possible rubbing.. It's about 1" wider than stock

Hey Thank you very much Matt!

Without modifying the suspension, I want to get the biggest tire under there as possible without causing any rubbing or performance issues.

Knowing the 195/70's will fit is huge! I really don't want to go much wider at this point than a 205. I've felt back there and there is not much room behind the back sidewall. I will actually measure though..

If anything, I would like to go taller however, so I am considering a 195/80 or a 205/70? Without you having to look anything up again, can I ask your professional thought on those two options?

Again, Thank you. I appreciate your time helping to educate me on this...

Cy

FWIW - i am running 205/65-15s on the Legacy - no rubbing and they are very close to stock diameter (no issues with speedo/odometer that way)

Stock Forester size is 205/70-15 and I do believe those would fit the Legacy with no rubbing problems, but it would throw the speedo/odometer off a little

if you can wait until this weekend, I can test fit a stock forester tire/wheel (the 205/70-15) on a stock legacy for you.

My 95 has the forester struts under it, so I know it will fit that car - but the stock setup may be tight.

just as a comparison - the 205/70-14 is an inch smaller in diameter than the 15in size...

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Edited by heartless

Cool heartless! Thanks for offering, if you are swapping tires I would love to see what you find out but no need to do it just for this.

I am pretty sure that since I will be running the stock 14" wheel size, that the 205/70/14 or the 195/75 will work under my stock 93 just fine.

Eventually I may want to go to a 15" wheel, then I will have to figure all of this out again, plus all the suspension mods, but for now I am gonna keep it simple and stock as far as wheel size goes. Call me old fashioned, but I like more rubber under my rigs rather than wheel.

I have time before I buy, planning sometime  within about a month.  It has taken quite a while just to figure out the size I want (with all the help from you and Matt 167!) let alone now I gotta figure out the best brand! LOL

Have fun bro, thanks!