Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear window replacement tricks?

nice fellows smashed the rear passenger window of my 95's Leg SW, took my GF's tablet, etc. while we were out pedaling by the river.

oh well, life i guess...

broken window went out easy :), am having more of an issue inserting the used window i found back into the slot due to the blue bearing wheel and front guide being wider than the slot....

ive taken out the two internal sliders of course, but stil cant see how to slot it in without using brute force on the metal sheet.

any secret tips here that i am missing? workshop manual is not that detailed here..

tnxs in advance

TG

this is on the rear passenger door?

You should be able to get it in the slot by angling it - the mechanism will need to be down about halfway to start - drop in one corner at an angle (you may need to experiment a little here to determine which corner to put in first), lower it down at the angle to get the other end in - then straighten it out to get it installed on the mechanism.

I have not had to replace a door window on a Subaru, but have done it on a 95 Dodge Ram - twice. and that has frame around the window - talk about a chore! <_<

get an actual Subaru FSM - they're all over the internet and free.

i suck at, and hate doing, windows (those two traits tend to go hand in hand), i usually open up both doors at the same time so i can go look at the routing, setting, and movement of the other operational window while i'm messing with the other. 

my dislike of wasting time on windows has also lead me to simply swap and entire door before - 4 bolts and a wiring harness and you're done in like 20 minutes. 

get an actual Subaru FSM - they're all over the internet and free.

i suck at, and hate doing, windows (those two traits tend to go hand in hand), i usually open up both doors at the same time so i can go look at the routing, setting, and movement of the other operational window while i'm messing with the other. 

my dislike of wasting time on windows has also lead me to simply swap and entire door before - 4 bolts and a wiring harness and you're done in like 20 minutes. 

Cheater! lol :P

Yes they are a pain, just did both a front and rear window on a friends 99 Legacy GT.

As others have said, the window will tilt in and down in the front and you can guide the rollers past the door.

I pull the 3 12mm nuts for the rear guide and get it out of the way.  With the window now inside the door and the front guide in the rail, you can guide the real rail onto the rear bearing and up and into the 3 mounts holes.

Put the 12mm nuts on lightly.

Mount the window to the lower motor guide rail with the 2, 10mm nuts.

Put all hardware back on and sung them up.   Test and adjust the window as necessary then tighten everything up.  Put the door panel back on and grab a cold one or two.