Ultimate Subaru Message Board

are the trans and front diff fluids at correct levels now? The automatic trans level must be checked while idling on level ground. best if the engine is warmed-up and after moving the shifter thru each gear before stopping at Park or N with handbrake on.

how many miles on the car? what is its general condition? has it been well maintained? new to you? are there any fluid leaks? any repairs done lately?

diff = noises when failing - usually loud whining like wheel bearings or grinding/geared tooth mechanical noises.  gets worse over time and can fail in catastrophic fashion.

trans = slippnig, hesitating, only usually has noises if it's really wonked up or nearly empty on fluid (loud squealing type noises)

It's a 2001 Outback 3.0 VDC wagon, bought new in MA on 9/11/2001 (!!) Has 51,000 miles. Maintained indifferently, I'm afraid. I have been unable even to find the ATF yellow dipstick, so the other two you mentioned are total mysteries. Because trans seems to be slipping I thought I should check th ATF and perhaps Diff fluid too. As reported, all of a sudden it makes a clattering sound with vibrations when putting it into reverse. At same moment that happened, it started to idle roughly if in gear, but not if in neutral. I've never experienced a slipping transmission in any car, so I say it SEEMS to be slipping. Actually when starting from a dead stop the car hesitates (feels like a bubble) if I apply very little throttle. If I apply more gas, that "hiccup" isn't felt. (?)

I'm eager to see the manual you uploaded for me, and am wondering why my manual does not  mention the transmission AT ALL. (?)

ATF is near the firewall on the left (US driver's side)

front diff is on the right side, somewhat lower and maybe a little further back

some cars in that time period had a parking pawl recall(might rattle ??? I think, check www.cars101.com) , but I can't help think you should also inspect for a broken axle.

that car needs a thorough inspection, new fluids and other TLC. check the 'stickies' at the top of the Gen 2 Forum too.

are the tires all the same brand/size/model and near each other in wear? they need to be.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

1. is the check engine light on?  

2.  if it is go to any national chain that reads the codes free and tell us the exact codes. 

3. have the codes read even if the check engine light isn't on (bulb blown or pending codes are possible)

4.  check ATF and i wouldnt' drive it one foot until you do.  yellow dipstick in this photo under the brake master cylinder. 

go to a shop or auto parts store and have them find it for you

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/attachments/f88/4053d1166801354-how-check-tranny-fluid-level-atf-dipstick-2.jpg

it's possible the yellow handle is broken off. 

look from the bottom if you have to - there's along metal tube the dipstick slides down into - above the drivers side axle

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/molurch/2009-07-11_195337_out.png