Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem areas in 2016 Outback Premium w/ Eyesight

My Outback has met the lemon law requirements in my state, and Subaru of America has offered me the option of refund or replacement.

I'm leaning, strongly, towards replacement, as the Outback is the car I liked best in this class. Before I decide for certain, I'm trying to find out the problem areas that have cropped up in the 5th generation Outbacks.

Part of the reason my particular car meets the lemon law criteria was a lengthy repair involving 7 DTCs that hit at once.

What problems have you encountered in your 5thGen Outbacks that needed a warranty fix?

What specifically qualified your car as a lemon?

NC Motor Vehicle Warranty Act. Twenty business days in the shop over a 12 month period, notification to the manufacturer, which gives them 15 more additional calendar days to try to repair. 

After notification, it took 20 more days to fix.

My Outback was part of the steering column recall. That kept it in the shop for 10 business days.

I had a CEL, with an EyeSight logo in orange, and a blinking xmode light. That was 7 DTCs, and it was in the shop for 10 more business days, and another 15 calendar days. I notified SoA of non-conformance with warranty on the 20th business day in the shop. That gave them a 15 calendar period to complete repairs; it took 18. That's an NC lemon.

The DTCs were ECM U0073; Power Steering C2543, C2545; EyeSight B28A1, B2806, B2809; Combination Meter U0162.

The final repair was to replace bulkhead wiring harness, power steering harness, DCM w/ backup battery.

So far, I have not found any particular areas where the 5th Gen Outbacks are problematic, so I'm currently proceeding with the replacement offer. They did also offer a $4000 cash settlement, but I'm not taking that.

Ours is hitting a year old in September and we've had absolutely zero wrong with it.

...except...

The electronic trunk is super finicky. Sometimes it works as it should and there have been other times that I'll be sitting in the driver's seat with the owner's manual in hand making sure that I'm meeting every rule that allows the trunk to open and it just doesn't when using the dash button or trunk button. However, I'm pretty sure it always works with the fob.