Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, i plan to build a offroadmonster out of my 96 legacy wagon. The offroad capabilities are really surprising for a stock car. Ive fallen inlove with my subaru. Its out-climbed some of my buddies in their lifted jeeps! But i want more which brings me here. Would an ej20k be good for offroading. The low end boost seems like it would let me climb things easier without almost bogging out. I know its more work than an ej20g swap but since an ej20g swap wont give me any more lowend torque than my 2.2 will it will be worth a shot? Maybe? Thanks for any input!

EJ20k is a '96-'98 STi engine.

Need more information. What transmission do you plan to use? What type of offroading do you want to do? What other modifications have you done/do you plan to do?

Typically turbos are not great for offroading, turbo lag does not play well with technical trails. The lack of good gearing options for Subarus means that with oversized tires you spend a lot of time at low rpm.

• Like 1

The ej20k is the twin turbo version, with sequential turbos. One for low rpms and one for high rpms. That led me to think it might be able to give me that lowend torque. I dont plan on doing any rock crawling. I mainly want to explore and get to the top of some mountains that my car cant get up yet. And so i can go new places without womdering if my car will getback up. I plan to use the stock transmittion that would come with the engine and ecu. (ebay seems to have decent prices on the swap) as for mods besides the swap i plan to use 2008 forester xt struts with king raised springs and some bigger tires.

Twin turbo engines are EJ20H, EJ20R, EJ206 and EJ208.

Second turbo will not clear the brake booster and steering shaft on a LHD car without CONSIDERABLE modification (not impossible, but very difficult. I've seen dozens of builds were people think they can do it, and end up converting to single turbo or RHD).

Yes, in stock configuration it's a little less prone to turbo lag, but not without it.

An automatic transmission would help smooth out the lag, but it's still a bandaid.

You could probably find a wrecked '01-'04 Outback LLBean for what it would cost to buy an EJ20H/R and convert to single turbo. The wiring will all already be configured for LHD (a big job either way...). You'd have almost as much horsepower, more torque, and much better throttle response.

Or, build a high-compression 4-cylinder. Several ways to do it, stroker 2.2, just drop some pistons into a 25D or 251, maybe some Delta cams. Look into some Rally America Open Light (non-turbo AWD) builds, I've seen some cars with some serious stump pulling torque.

Thanks Numbchux for the clarification on the twin turbo. The LL Bean edition has the 3.0 6 cylinder correct? Ill look in to that swap and into building my 2.2 . Ive also debated buying an old gl wagon with the dual range trans and swapping my 2.2 into that. I just also wanted a little more juice on road also. Thanks again!

Yep, sorry, I should have mentioned that would be for the 3.0 H6. Also available in the Outback VDC but the traction/stability control system on those models make it harder to swap, the LLBean editions generally are better Swap donors.

It's also possible to swap a dual range transmission from a GL into your Legacy, which would give you much better offroad gearing, and FWD setting for better highway mileage.

• Like 1