Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to save a special Brat in Elsinore, CA

My Brat is a special one, but it was horribly neglected, abused, and badly repaired. I had been fixing it up when people where I lived turned out to be real lowlives who stole anything they could trade or sell for drugs, and caused an illegal eviction. I ended up homeless, living in a desolate area, and became broken down out there, with nothing close, almost a mile to walk just to get water, 6 miles to walk to get or do anything else, and what aggravates that is that I have Bursitis & Plantar Fascitis in both feet, two bad ankles and one bad knee, which means on hell of a lot of pain and difficulty.

Through it all, I have been doing all I can, what little I can, to try to fix and save the Brat with very little luck. One person after another has tried to talk me into abandoning it, but I refuse to.

With any luck, I may soon be able to get it started, and find myself in Lake Elsinore, CA.

Are there any really gifted Subaru Mechanics or Subaru freaks in that area who could help me fix this Brat and give it the fix-up it so deserves?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, Situation changed. I'm camping out in wilderness near Redlands, CA.

I have figured out what the actual problem is. Brat was getting horrible gas mileage, made a deal with a mechanic to rebuild the carburetor. He mounted it wrong, mounting gasket blew, coolant spraying into the carb and cylinders,  which in turn half-blew the head gasket so that the compression and hot gasses were super-heating the coolant and over-pressuring the system blowing hoses and the water pump gasket. So it needs a head gasket, water pump gasket, hoses, etc. Not the worst thing, in an emergency I may be able to start and run it a short drive somewhere.
I just got a new job, so there is hope, and I just found another running Brat that may be for sale.

I could do one as a street rod, and one as an off-roader.

• 5 months later...

Life can be a real kick in the balls, man. Sorry to hear about that. What's the bare minimum you need to get it started? Is this your only car?

Sorry for the late reply.

My life has over the last few months been an aggravating roller-coaster ride.

Right now things are at their worst, but i am not giving up.

My Brat is now marooned in the middle of nowhere, where I cannot get a tow truck or anyone else to come get it at any price it seems.

I have it hidden and well camouflaged, which is why it is still safe for the time being, but I don't know how much longer.

I was going to make a last-resort emergency drive to a local mechanic, but even though I had the money at the time, I could not find a single mechanic in the Yucaipa area who would rebuild my engine. One after another said "Its too old" - WTH?!?

What the hell do they care how old my car is?!? They do the work, it drives, I give them money - Done.

I knew what to expect in California, I grew up here, and it is very simple, these mechanics are self-interested, paranoid, cowards!

I have a new-found lack of trust or respect for mechanics in general, with the sole exception of Subaru freaks.

I am not giving up, I am not abandoning it, one way or the other I am saving this Brat!

It is the mechanical love of my life and it shall not fall by the wayside!

If nothing else,I can now claim with all sincerity and absolute right that NOBODY but NOBODY loves their Subaru Brat like I do!

I myself am living out here in the middle of nowhere with my Brat, living in a van, watching over it, and making every sacrifice necessary to save it.

My work cut me on hours down to nothing, I have no job now, working odd jobs when I can find them, and essentially "Surviving".

My vehicles in general get what they need, even if I have to go without, but for this Brat, I go without food at times when that is necessary. For the joy it brings, has brought me, and will bring me, it is worth every bit of it!

Edited by RAD

Cheap Options - scour car-part.com, craigslist, etc and see what can be scrounged up on the cheap. The good thing about these motors being mostly obsolete is that they are often cheap when they do turn up.

EA81 either fixing yours or putting in a replacement. the 81-84 wagons and coupes and the hatch through 87 and brats had these motors.

The EA82 is just a little newer, a little more pep and has timing belts but a good motor that is mostly bolt in. 85-92 loyal, gl dl and such

As the situation sounds like money is tight and you wont be doing the work yourself we can save the EJ talk for a later date. But for now if you can score a cheap motor or donor car you can at least get it back on the road and start prepping for further stuff down the line.

My parents live in Ontario not far from where you're at. Actually drove to Lake Elsinore and bought a grill with them not long after they moved.

With that big population nearby there's probably a few old school subaru junkies that can help wrench on it with bribes of pizza and/or cold beverages. if you get to the point of having a good motor to drop in there, you might turn someone up here or on some of the local subaru clubs/groups on facebook.

if you were in my neck of the woods, I'd offer some time. A motor swap on these cars is cake compared to the modern stuff. takes only a couple hours if it goes smooth. Especially on those rust free california cars.

• Like 1

Cheap Options - scour car-part.com, craigslist, etc and see what can be scrounged up on the cheap. The good thing about these motors being mostly obsolete is that they are often cheap when they do turn up.

EA81 either fixing yours or putting in a replacement. the 81-84 wagons and coupes and the hatch through 87 and brats had these motors.

The EA82 is just a little newer, a little more pep and has timing belts but a good motor that is mostly bolt in. 85-92 loyal, gl dl and such

As the situation sounds like money is tight and you wont be doing the work yourself we can save the EJ talk for a later date. But for now if you can score a cheap motor or donor car you can at least get it back on the road and start prepping for further stuff down the line.

My parents live in Ontario not far from where you're at. Actually drove to Lake Elsinore and bought a grill with them not long after they moved.

With that big population nearby there's probably a few old school subaru junkies that can help wrench on it with bribes of pizza and/or cold beverages. if you get to the point of having a good motor to drop in there, you might turn someone up here or on some of the local subaru clubs/groups on facebook.

if you were in my neck of the woods, I'd offer some time. A motor swap on these cars is cake compared to the modern stuff. takes only a couple hours if it goes smooth. Especially on those rust free california cars.

All it needs for right now is a head gasket and 2 - 4 tires, but getting past survival on money, getting it out of there, and having a place to take it to not far away is the real issue.

Cannot find a mechanic worth a damn in the area at all, have not been able to find a subaru freak in the area at all.

If I do save this Brat and get to work on it, fix it up, people will see what a poor, little EA81 is capable of! Lol...

Hope it works out. But again, ill remind you, we already know what the ea81 can do. We've already done it.some still are doing it. Somevof us are doing it to otber platforms now.

Mine is a 2005 outback about to get a lift and 31 inch tires after spring thaw.

I do miss the simplicity of the ea platforms though. Cut wrenching time in half.

I'm a bit late I've been in the area for a few months I have to leave now sorry I've been working on my house in Johnson valley I won't be back in town for a few months I've got to get back to making my rounds if your still in need in a few months I might be able to help

• Like 1