Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This thread on lock cylinder interchangeability has gotten me thinking.

I'm on the hunt for an EA82 (Specifically an '88 or '89 GL), and have not had luck finding the right one. I've been thinking about gathering parts so when I do get one, I can easily swap out parts and pieces without having to hunt for them or wait for shipping.

Ultimately, I would like to add a killswitch (or three) and have the locks be rekeyed to help with security. 

Can I go the junkyard, take a set of locks off of any EA82 wagon, have them rekeyed at a locksmiths, and have everything swap over really easily?

Is there a better way to do this?

Is there anything else you do to help with security?

Let me know your thoughts!

You own an old gen Subie. There is no 'security'. lol 10 seconds with various techniques and they're inside. Another 10 seconds with a screwdriver and visegrips and the car is running and gone. Hidden kill switches like you want are your best bet. All the effort of messing with cylinders and keying really isn't going to slow them down. One switch for ignition power to the coil and one for the fuel pump hidden in different locations is the way to go. Thieves will only spend 30-60 seconds to get the car started after entry and if they have to go hunting for things, they'll generally move on. I fractured a law or two in my younger, really, REALLY stupid days. On a side note, I can tell you from experience that karma will come back around for collections due.

• Like 2

You own an old gen Subie. There is no 'security'. lol 10 seconds with various techniques and they're inside. Another 10 seconds with a screwdriver and visegrips and the car is running and gone. Hidden kill switches like you want are your best bet. All the effort of messing with cylinders and keying really isn't going to slow them down. One switch for ignition power to the coil and one for the fuel pump hidden in different locations is the way to go. Thieves will only spend 30-60 seconds to get the car started after entry and if they have to go hunting for things, they'll generally move on. I fractured a law or two in my younger, really, REALLY stupid days. On a side note, I can tell you from experience that karma will come back around for collections due.

Thanks for your input! 

I leave my keys in the ignition I always have even when I lived in La my locks are freezing up its been so long since I used them that's my security system its worked for me for 30+ years even leaving my brand new truck with the windows open and keys in the ignition in down town LA for 3 weeks while I went sailing I did have a few beer cans inside though

Edited by ferp420