Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please reccommend me some tires; 2003 Outback 90% road 10% dirt/gravel/sand

Hello All,

I have a 2003 outback that is in need of some new tires. I am looking to use the vehicle as a daily drive/ trip car (camping, beach, exploring, etc)

I am going to spend most of my time on the road, as such, noise, tread-life, and wet weather handling are important. That said, I live in NC, I spend time in the mountains and on the outer banks. I am not looking to ford a river or drive on an island. but some sand, gravel, rock, etc will he negotiated at times.

I am looking for a tire that will be practical on the road, but will not leave me stranded if I decide to venture off the road a little bit.

Currently looking at continental TrueContact all season. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

While continental does make a good tire, my experience with them is that they wear out quickly. 

A good set of all season tires will get you just about anywhere you want to go, even on some "more that mild" off-road adventures. I think most of what you'll find in the size you need will be an all season tire anyway. 

Take a look at the Mastercraft Avenger - very good all season tire that is quite capable. I have had a set on my 95 Legacy for almost 3 years now - great wearing tire.

I have done a little light "off-roading" with them and they were fine.

Mastercraft is made by Cooper tires - without the Cooper price. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I also have an 2003 Outback Limited.

In fall of 2015 I put on Continental TrueContact tires on wife's 2012 Rav4. Absolutely like them. So last winter purchased a set for the Suby when they were on sale. P225/65/R16. Have not installed them yet. I do not expect to get a lot of mileage out of them.

They hold the road really well in all kinds of weather and road conditions (gravel to) in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington. Ice, compact snow, rain, off road and interstate speeds, etc. I'm an enthusiastic spirited driver. Have not had them on sand. I would not use these in hot climates such a AZ,CA, NM, TX, etc. I think they would wear out to fast.

Otherwise my favorite tire is Bridgestone, which is on my other 2 vehicles and have been using since 1991. I'll get 90,000 miles out of the Turanza EL400 if I drive easily. Stay away from the Serenity unless your in the hot climates mentioned before, even then I'm not really a fan of them.

Edited by ToySuby

Michelin Latitude on our RAV4; Michelin Defender on my Subaru Legacy. Both sets work well for my 99% on road adventures. I do use studded snows in the winter on both cars due the frequent freeze/thaw cycles we get in the winter leading to icy roads. But both of these were highly rated by CR.

GL,

TD

I tried the Michelin Defenders once on my Sienna. Got about 45,000 - 50,000 miles out of them.

The rubber is harder than your average tire. To hard for cold weather driving. That's why Michelin gives them a high mileage rating, around 90,000 miles. They performed poorly in the snow, slush, ice and rain. Will not use them again for Northwest driving. My professional tire man warned me about them, should have listened.

They are better than average for a summer highway tire. Not for spirited driving. They would talk back when pushed to hard. That was nice, you knew when you were about to loose traction. For dry summertime roads, I'd give them a 8 out of 10. All other conditions, less than 5.

The Continental TrueContact tires were the truest mud & snow tire I could find in a premium tire, close to the ones made back in the 80's for cars.