Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't decide Legacy vs Outback

Hey all, yes another one if these....

I've decided that I need a new car. I currently have 2, a '99 Grand Cherokee and a '97 Miata. I'm looking to sell of both of them and upgrade to just one. I commute in the Miata because the gas mileage is better, yet when I do anything outdoors related or people moving I drive the Jeep.

I've decided on a Subaru mainly because of the gas mileage and symmetrical AWD system. And not to mention I've wanted one for along while. The decision I can't shake is the model to go with. Do I go with a Legacy or Outback? I'm looking at 2007-2011 Legacy or Outback sub 90,000 miles.

I've driven them both, all 4 to be exact based on model year. I like them all for multiple reason and can't decide on which one to get. What do I need to consider when looking at the difference between the two and trying to decide which one is right for me and my lifestyle?

Thanks,

J

Basically the same apart from ground clearance so  Outback better able to go off road  / better in snow etc, loose a little in sharp cornering ability.  (So ideally suited for people with outdoor interests / carrying sporting equiupment etc)

Highway fuel consumption differences negligable if similar engine and drivelines

Never liked Legacies because of lack of ground clearance and limited offroad ability  (too highway focused) particualrly the lowered GT and performance versions.

Your choice depends on your life style needs environment etc

Edited by subnz

Thanks for the response,

I drive 40 minutes to work, ends up being just under 50 miles round trip. Which is the main reason for driving the Miata which I average about 31 mpg, whiled my jeep is only at 17.5mpg.

I'm a pretty active guy... In my time off I like to snow ski, mountain bike, road bike, practical shooting, golf, fish and kayak just to name a few. I do occasionally find unpaved areas especially shooting, skiing and biking.  Starting to think the outback is the better choice 100%. Which outback year would you consider and why? I'm looking at both models with years ranging from 2007-2011. Thoughts?

I'm  an old school diehard prefer the gen 3s  [05-09] (have one)   and not so fond of the looks of the gen 4 [10 - 14] (ie looks as if  its taken steroids)   its not to say its any less capable.

Recommend the H6 smoother  (headgasket issues -Tbelt changes H4) does it with less fuss  ie for over taking carrying people sporting gear  mountains ski fields etc.

The fuel consumption differences with H4  ie highways negligable  at worst in urban shortrunning-10% more  (have owned both H6/H4)

However it will not be as good as your Miata.       best I get / got H4/H6 is 28MPG trips,    average   24/25MPG as Outback is an  AWD and a heavier car.

Also if get a gen 3  , get a later one with SI drive H6  (3 transmission modes) - this is better for power / economy (trip computer)

As a single multi use vehicle Outbacks take a lot of beating

ps It sounds as if 4th Gen CVTs are getting better fuel economy than previous 4EAT 5EAT so that would be one of the advantages in gen 4  

Have a look  in subaruoutback.org forum there are more specific discussions there

or

Just search on google your question and this will pull up most the  relevant discussions on your questions.

Edited by subnz

the 2010+ is rated 2mpg better gas mileage.

relative in Ohio gets awesome mileage in his, he is in low or mid 30's in his, though he drives very conservatively and very flat. 

how about a newer one with the FB engine and better gas mileage?   2012+ outbacks.

outback makes sense.  you'd have to make sacrifices but you could make a legacy work if needed.  get a hitch and carrier or trailer if needed for trips/loads/gear. 

i much prefer my outbac but i do use it very practically.  we've gotten rid of two sedans which i've loved but they're just not practical for a family of 5 that plays.

I recently bought a 93 Legacy L wagon. I already have a big raised Dodge Ram for anything rugged to do, and I wanted an AWD rig for longer road trips that still can maneuver in snow, rain and some mud, but mainly could perform well on the road and be efficient.

Remember that when the Legacy came out there were no Outbacks, so the rig had to perform as is, and did, as the outbacks do now.

Someday I may get an outback but the newer ones are starting to really look clunky and seem to be turning into way more of a bigger SUV rather than a wagon.

With what my older Legacy can still do under adverse conditions, and how well it performs on the highway, right now it is the choice for me.

My advice would be to get an older Outback that still has some wagon/car qualities and keep your jeep for the off road stuff.

I've had two jeeps in the past and they are the best for the adventure driving In my opinion. 

Have fun!!

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I've decided on an outback. The issues is what model year and engine. Why would you suggest an H6? Or an H4 for that matter?

What model year would be the best? Looking at sub $12k in the southern Ohio area.

I like the suggestion of keeping my Jeep. I would keep it if... I off roaded, needed it for the winter (I think the outback will suffice in Ohio winter) or anything where a jeep will benefit over an outback that I do. The only thing I think I'm loosing between an outback and Jeep is a little space.

I think the outback is tgr best choice. As mentioned I could get the legacy but I think it would be more of a sacrifice and having to try to make it work. When the outback would fit the bill.

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I've decided on an outback. The issues is what model year and engine. Why would you suggest an H6? Or an H4 for that matter?

What model year would be the best? Looking at sub $12k in the southern Ohio area.

I like the suggestion of keeping my Jeep. I would keep it if... I off roaded, needed it for the winter (I think the outback will suffice in Ohio winter) or anything where a jeep will benefit over an outback that I do. The only thing I think I'm loosing between an outback and Jeep is a little space.

I think the outback is tgr best choice. As mentioned I could get the legacy but I think it would be more of a sacrifice and having to try to make it work. When the outback would fit the bill.

Refer back to my 2nd post regarding H4 vs H6    3rd or 4th gen  and grossgarys comments suggestions on gen 4 economy etc.

Suggest a gen 4  (2010+) as it has better fuel economy with CVT transmission  ( H4/H6) if it's in your price range. 

If 2012+  H4 (CVT)  has new FB engine which has better economy and no T belt changes (chain drive like all H6s without h/gasket issues) 

Suggest H6   more power silky smooth does it with less fuss. ( without t belt changes and headgasket issues of H4  up to 2011)

If get gen 3 H6 (5EAT)   get a later one   2008/2009 with SI Drive (3 transmission modes - trip computer)  its better for power / economy .    H4 (4EAT)

Have owned H4 5MT / H6 5EAT SI Drive  and fuel economy similar  -  except for short running / urban where H6 uses 10% more fuel.

Edited by subnz

i turned a basic 95 Legacy L into a sort of Outback with the installation of Forester struts & springs and Forester wheels - gained a good 2 inches of height...

on%20car%20full.jpg

That said - the other half has an '06 Outback - LL Bean Edition with the H6, 5spd auto - it rides nicer than my lifted Legacy (the suspension was designed for the car), and is quite comfortable for longer drives. He is getting upper 20's to about 30mpg out of it on his 30min commute (mostly country driving)

06Outback02.jpg

06Outback01.jpg

• Like 3

Guess I could chime in a little. Yeah, go for the H6. Stout motor, better sound. Just don't drive like you're in a hurry and they get decent mileage. The 3rd gen is probably going to feel the most planted on road, while the 4th gen has more room and is more offroad capable if a bit rolly polly.

i turned a basic 95 Legacy L into a sort of Outback with the installation of Forester struts & springs and Forester wheels - gained a good 2 inches of height...

on%20car%20full.jpg

That said - the other half has an '06 Outback - LL Bean Edition with the H6, 5spd auto - it rides nicer than my lifted Legacy (the suspension was designed for the car), and is quite comfortable for longer drives. He is getting upper 20's to about 30mpg out of it on his 30min commute (mostly country driving)

06Outback02.jpg

06Outback01.jpg

Have a friend in my village  has done exactly the same thing with a similar aged MT D/R Legacy Wagon.

He also buys similar aged cars with head gaskets issues + other minor issues  for $300 - $500  and fixes them to resell for about  $1500.