Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06' Forester getting hot, cools with higher RPMs...

Hey Guys,

Semi first time poster, used to have an account back when I had my EJed loyale.

Got a question for you guys, my DD is a 2006 Forester 2.5 NA, 100k on the clock, always followed the OEM mx schedule, so I know my timing belt is due soon.

That said I’ve been having an interesting problem, I’ll be driving along and the temp gauge will start to climb, if I down shift the automatic to get a higher RPM, the temps seem to go back down to its normal (half between hot and cold) setting, seems like it’s been getting worse, now it will go nearly to the top of the gauge, Ill downshift and within 20 seconds or so it starts dropping back down....  So right now the subie is hanging out in the garage and I'm driving another car  <_<

My initial thought was it’s a water pump issue, the coolant and thermostat were changed with all OEM stuff about 6 months ago, I’m thinking of doing the cam belts, cam seals and water pump, maybe that’s the issue,  thoughts???

*side note, I was looking at this kit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crz-pp304lk1

THANKS!

Edited by NineThreeKilo

When it's overheating, does your heater work?

First thing I do when a car overheats is turn the heater on full blast to see if that'll bring the temp down. 

If the heater won't work, you have bigger problems... But I'd start by checking the coolant and topping up as necessary.