Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mysterious noise H6 LL bean 2003

I've noticed a couple times after I shut off my outback bean and put her in park, there is a sound that vibrates through the whole car and it sounds sort of like a rusty door hinge opening... Does not last bit a few seconds at most, kind of hard to catch.

Wonder if this is at all related to my regular differential whine??

Maybe steering rack and pinion....?

I'd like to know how to properly drain thesteering fluid and refill with clean fluid...thanks

Edited by Lverano

if it's just like 1- 2 seconds i'd guess it's a serpentine pulley bearing failing.  but it's a WAG without any more information, you're trying to make this really hard on us - remember we can't see, touch, smell, taste or hear the car!

1.  does it ever do it while the car is running or only after you turn it off?

2.  are you positive it's not doing it while running or might it be possible it's doing it but you can't hear it due to nominal car running noises?
3.  how long does the noise last - the possibilities vary considerably if it's 2 seconds or 20.

4.  does it do it very single time?

5.  stand outside the car and move around while someone else starts/turns it off.  does it come mostly from front, back, left, right, and pop the hood - what part of the engine if you can narrow it down that far. 

Sorry I threw this thread up in a hurry. It doesn't do it every time. I'll try to catch a recording on it, I'll quote all of you in a reply to get your attention. Thanks for all the replies,and grossgary, the always complete response with detail and concern, appreciate it.