Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR Delete EA81

So I'm thinking of deleting the EGR on my EA 81. What are the possible effects of this? On these engines, does the EGR even perform a very big role? Will I noticed a drop in gas mileage? I assume that all one has to do is plug up the EGR pipe that leads from the passenger side head to the EGR itself and then also plug up the EGR with a steel plate of some kind. Is there anything else that I need to do to make sure that it's disabled? I've had it recommended by some of you before, but now I'm seriously considering it since it's been giving me so much trouble lately.

Thanks for all your help guys

All I did was just remove and plug the EGR vacuum line. I've never notice a loss of mileage nor have a noted a significant gain in power though there did seem to be a little under WOT. I did it just as an experiment, but never hooked it back up. lol

Okay, so should I not plug up the EGR with a steel or aluminum plate?

The vacuum actuated egr valve parts are all metal. If the vacuum line is disconnected, the valve is closed, unless it is broken. Cap the vacuum line on the engine side. The egr is supposed to reduce the combustion temperature (NOX emissions) under certain conditions, I've not seen much of anything claiming it makes much difference in performance.