Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all.

I have a 2000 forester that is getting long in the tooth and I'm at a bit of a crossroads on how to proceed.

Currently it has about 240k miles. I've replaced wheel bearings, CV axels, and a starter in the last year. Couple weeks ago the radiator blew. A few months ago it started popping out of fifth gear. About a year ago it started to burn more oil, and right before the radiator let go, it was burning somewhere around a quart a week.

The radiator is easy and cheap, the trans seems like a simple fix(nut on tail shaft?), the oil consumption has me believe the motor is about shot.

Are these 2.5's worth rebuilding or should I look for a crate motor? Who sells solid remaned motors?

My other thought is to just replace the radiator so someone can drive it away when I sell it.

As much as I bitch about Subarus, I kinda like it! These things seem soon easy to work on. At least to my low skilled, shade tree azz!

Opinions?

Unless you can get a reasonably priced 2nd hand engine / (trans  maybe) and do the work yourself

The age / distance car  travelled and its value  its not wothwhile paying someone to do it.

or the cost of rebuilding the existing motor - there are so many unknowns with engine until taken apart.

If its just an engine replacement and you do it yourself and car is in reasonable condition with no other issues

maybe its a worthwhile exrercise.   Also while engine out the clutch may need some attention ie another  $500/$600  to replace as well.

Agree with latter decision if multiple issues  replace radiator - sell - start again with another better car.

Edited by subnz

Thats why I'm thinking a crate motor. I'd do it myself. Have a new motor and I'm guessing I can fix the trans easy enough. If they are available for a good price, might be worth it?

If I sell it, I'm just back to a used with unknowns. Albeit with way less miles.

Thats why I'm thinking a crate motor. I'd do it myself. Have a new motor and I'm guessing I can fix the trans easy enough. If they are available for a good price, might be worth it?

If I sell it, I'm just back to a used with unknowns. Albeit with way less miles.

Yeah there's a certain amount of truth / risk in buying another car with unknown issues - perhaps better with  the devil you know :D

Edited by subnz