Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2014 Subaru Forester

[i posted this to another forum & did not get good answers so am posting here.]

I had a tire dealer tell me that if one tire is damaged and cannot be repaired, I need to replace not just that tire and its opposite mate but all 4 tires. If all tires have reasonable tread left, say 6/32 or 7/32, do all tires really need to be replaced? Or do the tires only need to be replaced in pairs - that is, front L/R or rear L/R?

You have to replace all 4 tires, you have a viscus center differential (manual) or rear transfer clutch parks (automatic). If you have considerably different tire sizes you'll cause excessive wear and heat in these parts and ruin the transmission. The subaru spec is something like no more than 1/4" CIRCUMFERENCE difference between tires.

• Like 1

+1:

Google'd your question on line and one answer is HERE: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/replacing-tires.htm

It's really not a scam to get your $, but rather to save your AWD transmission....as much I  don't like it either. :-(

Tangent: If you're @ all tire-knowledgeable and can deal w/a bit of risk, just check out your local CL ads...I've bought mulitple sets w/out issue.

Edited by wtdash

The replace all 4 idea is a one size fits all approach that has wisdom associated with it due to mechanically inept public and consumers but it is not technically true nor accurate.

1. Buy one tire and have it shaved down to match. Call around locally or I think tire rack or another online retailer provides that service. This is the best option if it's a good fit for a given situation.

2. I buy two new tires and run them in the position that wears the fastest and they eventually catch up to the older ones...assuming they're not really low which the question implies.

3. Used tires are available on craiglsita and eBay.

4. I don't recommend this but if we want to be thorough - If you don't have an LSD rear you can install one new on the front and another new on the opposite side rear. This makes for convoluted rotating issues in the future.

5. Autos with FWD fuse could install the fuse and have options that way.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1

The spec is all 4 tires should be within 3/32 of wear.

2. I buy two new tires and run them in the position that wears the fastest and they eventually catch up to the older ones...assuming they're not really low which the question implies.

4. I don't recommend this but if we want to be thorough - If you don't have an LSD rear you can install one new on the front and another new on the opposite side rear. This makes for convoluted rotating issues in the future.

5. Autos with FWD fuse could install the fuse and have options that way.

If this were an older car, I would agree with you, and I've done some of this. Also, a '14 Forester would be a CVT or 6MT, no FWD fuse on those.

But on a 2 (maybe 3) year old car, hell no. Tire rack can shave a brand-new tire that matches the other 3. But you'd have $200+ into one tire, so you can have 4 mediocre tires (I assume you've got the OE tires, which are generally not very good) that are pretty much worn out. 6/32 is not "reasonable tread" IMO. Brand-new is typically about 11-12/32, and 4/32 is dangerous. 

Replace all 4. They're not trying to rip you off, it's by far the best option.

Hey OP we're in the same area, it didn't show location last night on my phone though Goshen caught my attention. 

If you do replace - i might buy the 3 used tires from you for a few bucks. 

. 6/32 is not "reasonable tread" IMO. Brand-new is typically about 11-12/32, and 4/32 is dangerous. 

Replace all 4. They're not trying to rip you off, it's by far the best option.

I concur, I was trying to demystify the tire replacement boogie man and missed the specific situation here, thanks Chux.  if the OP's tread measurements are correct they're on the low side of life and performance, and winter is coming. There are rare situations where replacing one is a good choice here, but for most average daily driver needs a 4 tire replacement is the way to go and the expected recommendation here.

There are a few used tire sellers in my area, give them size and brand and model and wear and they have a good grip on their inventory- there must be a bunch of places like that at least in the snowy areas where AWD has been common for a long time.

LT - LOL!

There are a few used tire sellers in my area

Rainbow Tire in Morgantown and a big place in Fairmont right south of town on the main road there usually have some used tires, though they rarely have the 16" common Subaru sizes, but yours being 17"+ may have less demand?