Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking into a 2008 Subaru Legacy

Hello everyone, I'm new on here.

Currently driving an 2001 Audi A4 quattro, it it's gotten old and is now 16 years old!!

I like AWD cars and seen a 2008 Legacy with 69,500km/43,100miles.  It's a 2.5L sedan.  Anything I should look over extra carefully, or something specific to this model that I should give extra consideration to.  Any previous owners?

Any hints and tips would be appreciated it.

My A4 quattro is okay condition but requires about $1,500 in repairs and given it's age, I'd rather just part ways with it.

Thanks,

post-64114-0-93179600-1472535603_thumb.jpg

post-64114-0-09291300-1472535628_thumb.jpg

headgaskets can leak externally - check lower mating surfaces - they're either leaking or they're not.

timing belt - it could already be past the timing belt maintenance, 105,000 miles or 105 months, you'll hit it by time before mileage. granted it would be very early and issues unlikely but not a risk you want to take either, it should be changed at some point in the coming future.

if it's a dealer selling it - maybe they'd work on that since it's due and absolutely necessary.

if you have it done - timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner are needed (water pump isn't necessary on those, but some people opt to do them).

ready to leave the audi brand novelty and driving experience? if not, dissatisfaction might be easily found.

Edited by grossgary

headgaskets can leak externally - check lower mating surfaces - they're either leaking or they're not.

timing belt - it could already be past the timing belt maintenance, 105,000 miles or 105 months, you'll hit it by time before mileage. granted it would be very early and issues unlikely but not a risk you want to take either, it should be changed at some point in the coming future.

if it's a dealer selling it - maybe they'd work on that since it's due and absolutely necessary.

if you have it done - timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner are needed (water pump isn't necessary on those, but some people opt to do them).

ready to leave the audi brand novelty and driving experience? if not, dissatisfaction might be easily found.

Thanks,

At 8 years the car is 96 months or maybe even slight more.  So I'd need a new belt within 6 months.

well, I am a Subaru fan but, $1500 is not that much to get your current vehicle in shape. That's like, what? 4 or 5 payments on a new car? The '08 Soob could need struts that might cost you nearly that at a dealership

I'd recommend you find a local shop to do a pre-purchase inspection on the Subaru. Post your city and request in a new thread - someone may know a good indie mech or reliable dealership.

and +1 on timing belt system service - the toothed idler can self-destruct - not good.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

well, I am a Subaru fan but, $1500 is not that much to get your current vehicle in shape. That's like, what? 4 or 5 payments on a new car? The '08 Soob could need struts that might cost you nearly that at a dealership

I'd recommend you find a local shop to do a pre-purchase inspection on the Subaru. Post your city and request in a new thread - someone may know a good indie mech or reliable dealership.

and +1 on timing belt system service - the toothed idler can self-destruct - not good.

The Subaru I'm looking at is $9000.  $1500 is 1/6 the cost for this mint Subaru with only 68km/35m.