Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

short throw shifter prices?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rugbyben

rugbyben

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State College, PA

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:21 AM

Does anyone know if there is really a difference between different priced short throw shifters. they range from B&M around $300 to random brands at like $45

i would like one but not for $300. has anyone had any success with a less expensive shifter.

#2 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:08 AM

I put a $14 one in my 2002 Forester. It was just a replacement shift shaft. Shorter and the shift linkage hooked a little higher on it.
Throws were definately shorter, and shifting was more 'crisp'. No more rubberery feeling of the longer factory shifter.
Only down side was the are no insulators on the short shaft. It attached with the bolt thru a roller bearing assy, so you could feel the engine and tranny vibrations more thru the shift assy.
But I am pleased and would spend the $14 again......Fould it on Ebay.

#3 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:18 AM

I also got mine from E-bay about 2 years ago. It was less than 30 bucks total.

took my 30 mins to put in and haven't had any problems with it.

IMO get the cheaper one. The concept of a short throw shifter and I don't see the advantage of paying more for a "name brand" shifter.

BW

#4 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:54 PM

Cant you saw the one in there shorter and put a different knob on it?

#5 netheadbob

netheadbob

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Charleston, WV

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:03 PM

I got one for $24 on Ebay for my 97 impreza. Couldn't beleive the difference in the throw length. Not only was the shifter shorter, the portion below the pivot bolt was longer. This is what I beleive made the most difference in the shifts. I also adjusted the clutch engagement point so it would catch lower and now I can change gears in half the time it took me before.

#6 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:02 PM

Cant you saw the one in there shorter and put a different knob on it?

That would make the shifter shorter but not change the leverage. A short throw shifter moves the shift linkage connecting point so that it takes less travel of the shifter to change gears.
It makes a huge difference in the crispness of shifting.

#7 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:19 PM

Does any one know if there is a short shifter for a 1gen legacy trannie, would the shift knob be the same throught out all subes so i could get one for like a 2.5rs or something?

#8 rugbyben

rugbyben

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State College, PA

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:35 PM

Thanks i have found several on ebay. one for $12. shipping sucks though.
i think im going to go for it..

#9 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:58 PM

Does any one know if there is a short shifter for a 1gen legacy trannie, would the shift knob be the same throught out all subes so i could get one for like a 2.5rs or something?

Some one has to know?

#10 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:56 AM

What short throw shifters would fit on my 2002 Legacy? In other words, all the shifters I've been looking at on ebay is for late model imprezas and wrx's...will they work on a legacy? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users