Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 2010 Forester Owner - Fog lamps not working

After 15+ years and 2 jeep TJs I finally saw the light (and found the comfort) of a Subaru and recently purchased a used 2010 Forester in good condition with low mileage (75,000 km). It's like a whole different world of driving and I love the vehicle.

All seems to be working fine except neither the fog lamps, nor the fog lamp indicator on the instrument cluster, come on when I turn them on. Yes, I am turning them on in conjunction with low beams not high beams. Checked the fuse, that looks okay. Now manybe both bulbs are burned out but wouldn't the dash indicator still come on if it was sending power to them?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated by this newbie Subaru owner :-)

Hikerboy,

There may be a relay in the fuse box for the fog lights that needs replacing, maybe not. Then again you may have two burned out bulbs.

As well, there is the possibility that the front bumper cover has been removed for repainting repairs and the lights not reconnected, or the harness connectors are corroded. Then there is the switch itself.

You need to confirm 12 volts on both sides of the fuse, to and from the switch, and the same at each bulb socket when the switch is on and the ignition is on. Somewhere in there is the culprit. Good Luck!

>I see lots of cars w/the fogs on ....must be `a thing' and I missed the memo?

Memo only went out to nuf-nuf's. I see it a lot down under, generally large SUV's and larger sedans but WRX drivers are pretty bad for it too.

There is a genuine use for fog lights, but they aren't DRL's.

We have an 09 Forester. The foglights are wired stick right now, and can only be on with the low beams. Which is wrong, since in really foggy conditions, the fog lights are more effective with the headlights off. I've had opportunities to verify this with my older cars with aftermarket fog lights over the years. I also often run with the fogs on in good weather, as they fill in places the headlights alone don't hit well. I check that they are aimed properly. I usually leave them off in city driving.