Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Legacy 3.0 - HG test

I believe I have a head gasket issue but was curious if it is possible for the cylinder pressure to leak into the cooling system causing the lower radiator hose to burst(which it did)?.   I watched a video where a guy just had the radiator cap off, fuel and spark disabled and when he turned the car over the fluid would bubble or blow right out of the radiator cap opening. 

Thanks

Your 2002 has the gen 2 motor. Don't know that I have answers to any of your questions. A bad head gasket on a gen 2 motor is seen with a coolant leak leaving a spot on the pavement or garage floor. Subaru sells a coolant product that is added to the radiator. It is basically a stop leak chemical product that works well.

A common headgasket correlation is if you just got this car.

A 15+ year hose failure does not indicate headgasket failure.

15 year old hoses can simply fail. Radiators clogged, fans not working, low coolant, can cause overheating which may also encourage a hose failure.

But yes, H6's usually push exhaust into the coolant (they sometimes leak externally too as stated). First symptoms are typically very random overheating, events sometimes separated by many months and only very specific conditions. That gradually gets worse.

That could exacerbate hose failures but this is only a reality usually after a long progression and ignoring of symptoms or an egregious overheating event. A recently failed H6 with OEM gaskets doing this would be weird.

It would help if we knew more about the engine and vehicle. I'm assuming you recently got the car due to lack of info and the perception that this failure is advanced.

My H6 has never overheated but has been pushing gas into the coolant since may. Sometimes the symptoms are hidden.

A slow gas leak will not blow hoses as the system can't exceed the cap pressure. A fast leak can build pressure faster than the cap can release it.

If a hose blows at or below cap pressure, it was a worn-out hose.

Yes, just picked up the car.  The radiator and all but one hose was replaced. That hose(lower) blew out on me as I was running it to see so I replaced it.  I thought that if the cooling system was being pressurized by and HG leak, that the rad cap would release the pressure as mentioned.  I'm not sure if there is a head gasket issue but there is a black sticky substance on the tube in the overflow tank. I've ran the car with no overheating thus far.

On the trans side of things, it slips initially going into gear and then "grabs". If you over accelerate, it slips.  Reverse works as it should.  Folks have mentioned to check trans pan for dents which I did-looks perfect.  It was mentioned to check for overfill,  and drain and refill.  Then recheck. 

Feel free to send any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks!

Yeah, one hose blowing off isn't enough to go on.  clamps not being sufficiently tightened, cheaper aftermarket hoses that don't fit right, rusty old clamps or new aftermarkets that don't grab properly....

A recently sold car with issues suggests the car was dumped because of the issues. Hopefully they just didn't want to mess with it or got a terribly inaccurate assesment/quote to fix it.  The other likely scenario is it's an ominous issue and they dumped it. 

15 year old coolant reserve tanks and hoses are prone to being dirty and have various gunk on them, i wouldn't call that much to go on either.

HG:
1. look for bubbles in the overflow or radiator while driving or right after turnign the car off (dont' remove rad cap while hot)

2. overheating (can be very sporadic and go months between overheats)

Trans: 
1. check fluid level

2. change fluid

3. is the AT light blinking on start up - if it is, read the codes

4. dented pan

5.  make sure hoses are properly routed/sufficient flow through the new radiator.