Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parking brake adjustment/ transmission service

My daughter is getting a used 06 Legacy Sedan. The small off the beaten path dealership that is selling it to us has done a lot of work to it. At 147k they recently did timing belt, water pump,  both new axles, head gaskets, serviced air conditioner and have replaced the auto transmission whick they reportedly bought used. I had my honda mechanic, who sees quite a few subarus at his shop, look it over and he gave it a fair deal/thumbs up.

The parking brake engages real high, and my mechanic thought the transmission fluid was starting to look less than great.

Quick search online brought back a quote of close to 300 us dollars for servicing the transmission, ouch.

My question, are these maintenance/repairs something the low average do it yourselfer can do and how?

Thanks for reading, hoping to read some responses, Mario

The transmission service should be pretty easy. The tranny has a drain plug for draining. You will need a new washer for the drain plug, same one as used on oil drain plug. The tranny probably also has an external screw on filter. It looks like an oil filter and it's located on the drivers side of the tranny. Add about 4.5 quarts of tranny fluid and check the level.

I'm not positive about the e brake. On my 2000 I had the same problem and replaced the e brake shoes and that fixed it.