Ultimate Subaru Message Board

considering low mileage 2006 Forester - but no VSC

Hi all:

I'm in Colorado and have been looking for a low mileage Forester or Outback for some time now.  Originally I had set my specifications as a 2008 or newer Outback and 2009 or newer Forester because from what I have determined these are the years when both overhead curtain airbags AND stability control was added.  However, recently I've found some pretty good deals on older Foresters and Outbacks.  I think I'm OK with foregoing having the overhead curtain airbags because at least the older ones still have the side airbags, but would giving up the stability control be a mistake?  For what it's worth, I've done OK over the years without any VSC, am a very careful driver in adverse conditions, and always make sure I have good tires.  I fell I will get a quantum leap from the AWD alone from what I've been driving.  Plus, from what I understand, VSC is really only beneficial for help during emergency maneuvers such as going too fast around an icy or wet curve.  Would members here necessarily pass on a good older Forester or Outback just because it doesn't have stability control?  It will still have the same symmetrical AWD design as any newer Subaru, right?

Thanks folks.

Will92,

Certainly one with VSC is better than not having it, but it really comes down to what is available and how much does this one option push you to spend more dollars. How deep are your pockets?

I've owned 4 OBW LTD's , one of each generation, and each new one was better than the last. Only my present 2012 have the VSC, and I can't tell you if its ever been activated to take over the control of the car. Is it necessary in the flat terrain that I travel in? Do you really need it in Colorado? If you've been getting along just fine without AWD and VSC all of these years, you don't really need  the VSC now.

But, .... if you have a teenager who will be driving the car or very soon will be, ... then a rethink might be in order.

My personal advice would be to not pass up a good used subie in your price range, regardless if it has VSC  and curtain air bags or not. Reliability wise the cars are just about bullet proof if well maintained, and with a good set of ice grip tires, are just about crazy glued to the road if driven intelligently. Just remember, that because you will have a lot more go because of the AWD, you will not have any more stop than any other car equipped with the same tires.

I've owned 4 subies, and I will own more until they pull my driver's license at 96 years of age.

Thanks!  My struggle has been trying to find a 2008 or newer Outback or 2009 or newer Forester with less than 100k miles for 12k (USD) or less that hasn't come from the rust belt, was a rental, was accidents, etc.  So when a 2006 with low miles showed up for less than that I decided I should rethink my "requirements" and start considering the older Subarus since obviously ae works in ones favor with kbb values.  The 2006 didn't pan out by the way but at least now I think I can comfortably consider the older Subarus.  Thanks again for your thoughtful comments!

thanks fairtax4me....

I forgot to ask another question for my search... should I avoid in general the turbo engines?  I would think these put a lot of wear and tear on the engines especially if they are driven hard.  Also, I have seen an occasional H6 and Tribec.

FInally, I'm now considering years from say 2002 on.  Are they all considered symmetrical AWD?  From what I understand this means all four wheels are constantly powered.  This is what makes Subaru unique, right?  All other AWD systems out there rely on detection of wheel slippage to power the rear wheels.  Do I understand this correctly?

Symmetrical AWD is mostly a gimmicky term.

The Subaru Drivetrain is mounted dead center down the middle of the vehicle. Engine, trans, driveshaft, and rear differential are all nearly perfectly in line. So the axles are the same length on each side of the car. The right half is symmetrical to the left half.

With most other AWD or 4wd vehicles some part of the system is mounted off center of the vehicle, which changes the weight balance of the vehicle. On most AWD vehicles the engine and transmission are mounted transversely, with the engine being more on the right half and the trans more on the left half. The axles then have to be different lengths, which can lead to several adverse handling affects, such as torque steer, for example.

The Subaru AWD system doesn't have that problem, since it is balanced by weight left to right, and by axle length left to right. This lends to better handling and better traction in situations where AWD provides a major benefit.

But isn't a big difference between Subarus and other AWD competitors

No.  "other competitors" is too ambiguous to make a declarative simple statement.

the rear wheels of the Subaru are always "powered" rather than relying on detected wheel slippage to engage them?

No. Subaru's rely on slippage to transfer power to the rear.  You have to - a fully locked 4WD isn't drivable on the road.  I own a Subaru that can be locked and have been converted them before - you can't drive them on pavement like that.  So you need systems to limit that stress/drivability issue. 

In genearl:

1. FWD vehicles with open diff/no traction control are one wheel drive - get one stuck in snow/mud and one tire spins

2. 4WD vhicles with open diffs/no traction control - are two wheel drive - get one stuck and one rear and one front tire spins. 

Add in traction control, manual trans, automatic trans, VLSD's, clutch type LSD's, DCCD, MPT's, VTD, and VDC and you have a wealth of options for "4WD" in general. 

How those rear wheels are "powered" on Subaru's varies considerably between automatic, manual, VLSD, DCCD, MPT's, VTD, and VDC.  But in general "no" the rear wheels aren't always "powered" as you suggest. 

Manual transmissions have a VLSD center diff which transfers power based on slipping. 

Automatics have clutch plates (MPT) or VTD to control power transfer to the rear - also based on slipping. 

It's certainly not "locked" - it can't be or the car wouldn't be drivable. 

Subaru's do vary how much power is transfered to the rear - but that's still a very simplistic and unfair way of defining the system.  How it's made available and response times and practical considerations vary wildly and can't be reduced to simple statements.  FWD, AWD, open differentials, VTD, MPT, VDC, Manual, Automatic, clutch type LSD, VLSD....all have ramification on traction. 

But isn't a big difference between Subarus and other AWD competitors that the rear wheels of the Subaru are always "powered" rather than relying on detected wheel slippage to engage them?

• Like 1