Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings from the desert!

Proud new owner of an 86 BRAT GL. 137,000mi; 6" lift; clean in and out and looked to run a smidgen hotter than she looks! Just ordered revolt value craft water pump;thermostat;radiator hoses and temperature sending unit. Will install Obon the 8th before 735 mile trip to Oregon. Browsing the forum for answers as it stands. Enjoi!

Thank you. I will be sure to update photos and status (how are pics posted?) As it stands she has: 900 miles on fresh manual transmission fluid (Autozone 75w-90w); Fresh "high mileage" 10w-40 last night; rear differential oil is clean, about a 1/4 inch below full; parts ought arrive this afternoon to replace water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses and temperature sending unit all from autozone. An attempt to help her run cooler than on the red line.

Edited by NihonElCamino

... ... Thanks again Loyale... Is the newest pic showing up as as an image on the board? I only see a URL... I greatly appreciate your patience. Status update: replaced the temp sending unit, thermostat and the upper radiator hose and she is running cooler than ever before! Now I am tracking down why the ECS light went from a solid light while driving to blinking after about 26mph. From what I have read so far I need to translate a blinking light from under the steering column. More updates to come. Thanks again Loyale!

Yay! Received the water pump and the lower radiator hose! On the drive up town today she would cruise cooler than ever before( gently fluctuating betwixt 1/4 and just above halfway up the temp gauge) , but then she would climb when letting her idle for 3-4 minutes. At one point, she made it well into the red zone while idling! Mind the blinking ECS light all the while and ambient air temperature of +/-100℉. We'll see what tomorrow brings with the "new water pump and hose. Night All.

I am hopeful the world will keep turning, a little longer anyway. Pulled the water pump and found some liquid gasket inside, the same sashay appeared to be keeping the thermostat from seating properly. Hosed out the radiator and the engine block. Cut a new gasket for the pump and the thermostat housing.fixing to reassemble the cooling system and make a run to Vegas. Also, replaced all four plugs, gasped at 1.07mm. The old ones were white! Time to research how to locate and adjust the fuel air ratio I suppose and get her not only cooling proper, but running proper as well. A manual was just ordered. Looking forward to a tangible guide to my new Subie!. As for the fan, it does work. Both the primary and secondary both function. If she is running hot, wiring the secondary fan to the same circuit as the primary may help cool her down, leaving the cause of her overheating unaddressed. I appreciate the inquiry and the indicators of severe damage turbosubarubrat.