Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 loyale dies when I let off clutch

My car has been giving me fits for a little over a month now and now it's starting something new. It will die when I let off the clutch. The car will go forward for a few feet, stutters and then dies. I can start it right back up but it does the same thing. Not sure where to go from here. Also the car idles fine, had a fuel pressure gauge t'd in and was getting 21psi. If I rev the engine up to say 3-4K and pretty much slip the clutch it will take off but will stutter and eventually shut off.

Easy test. Support the y pipe, loosen the studs to get a 1/2" gap between the heads and the flanges. Short test run. If it runs normal, something is blocking exhaust.

Gutting the cats will increase emissions. Not a huge difference in power or anything else.

• Like 2

So I loosened up studs and dropped exhaust down a little. Didn't make any difference to the way it ran. If anything it was worse. Still falls right on its face when I let off the clutch and try to take off

Edited by Loyale#1

Possible brake parking dragging, did you recently change rims from stock steelies to spoke... because i know that when I bought some they fit slightly tight over the brake caliper with out noticing.. and i got that same result like something was binding and I went nowhere...

I'm only bringing this up because if you look at the rim on the face of it there is a slight flat spot on the contour and another style is flat...

Other than that..

If your subaru is a 4wd model there could be a problem with it binding... jack up the rear spin one wheel the other should go the opposite direction... I'm sure there is more to look at...

Sometimes it helps to know the recent history of the vehicle. 

--Were there any modifications or repairs done recently ? 

--Did you start buying fuel at a new location ? 

--Is this a carb or injector engine ?

--Have you checked the engine and transmission fluid levels ?

--Is the air filter clean ?

--Anything you can add will help

Edited by Dee2

So today I was messing around and decide to rotate my distributor. Rotated it left and idle got worse. Rotated right and idle smoothed out, tightend the two disty bolts back up and hopped in the car and took it for a test drive. Ran really well actually. Had all the power back I was lacking before.

So this tells me my timing belts have jumped a tooth maybe?

Sorry Dee2 I always forget to mention all that good stuff

94 loyale 4wd push button

250k ish miles

New

Plugs

Wires

Disty cap

Rotor button

Air filter

Oil change

O2 sensor

Cts

Fuel pump

Fuel filter

I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting about

Haven't bought fuel anywhere different, and all those new parts listed above have been replaced in the last month or so

Edited by Loyale#1
  • Like 1

So today I was messing around and decide to rotate my distributor. Rotated it left and idle got worse. Rotated right and idle smoothed out, tightend the two disty bolts back up and hopped in the car and took it for a test drive. Ran really well actually. Had all the power back I was lacking before.

So this tells me my timing belts have jumped a tooth maybe?

It indicates your timing is off. Have you put a timing light on it ?

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats!

I'm glad to know the belt replacement fixed it.

Consider why the belt may have jumped?  are the tensioners worn out?

The last time I swapped T-belts, on a new-to-me-car 89 GL DR5MT the tension-er bolts were stripped in the heads. -sigh-