Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brand New Here

Hi I've lurked here before but as I have been helped several times I thought I would just join in on the "fun"..... I own a 1998 Subaru outback Legacy Limited with some 270,000 miles.  I've had it for 3 years and have put in both an engine and transmission (well not me but I have a super mechanic).  Today I went to replace the knock sensor as get up and go, had got up and went.  After unbolting the old one I pulled it around the intake to remove the wiring and discovered the connecting wire was hanging by a thread, then it broke off...... Back to internet city.  the cable was not shielded so I just soldered them together and did the best I could to keep it protected from the environment.  After putting all together the car would not idle and just died.... After a few attemps I thought well maybe the wire was shielded.... so took it all apart again and using crimp connectors put it together again..... still no go..... Back to internet city..... and yep you guessed it I missed a hose (the big fat bottom one) connection to the breather (if that is what it is called).  Connection made the 1998 Classic is up and running better than ever.   

Now that you know how flawed I am, I welcome you calling me names... (don't be tooo harsh please)  AND if you want some super tips on how to change the knock sensor I am now pretty well an expert having removed it and re-installed it no less than 4 times...... the first time an hour the second time 1/2 hour, at the end it was maybe 15 minutes......

I look forward to being on this site as I will never NOT have a Subaru and hopefully I can contribute a little here and there....

Robert L. Varcoe