Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Impreza to Vanagon swap

Picked up an 85 Vanagon GL with a trashed engine and figured the only thing worth the trouble was to replace it with a Subaru, an exceedingly common solution only requiring an adapter plate and some basic wiring. I found an EJ25, supposedly out of an 01 Subaru Impreza, but trying to verify this has been difficult. It's also supposedly an JDM import which may be why I can't seem to find a VIN anywhere, though I did find the number "17AB11221" stamped below the alternator. It did not come with an ECU as I bought it from a guy who builds sand rails and exclusively uses LINK aftermarket ECUs. The EJ25 stock is more than 100hp more than the stock engine and is poised to destroy the gearbox without being tuned up any further, so spending as much on the custom ECU as the entire rest of the engine seems a bit silly. I impatiently bought an ECU off of Ebay which is for a '98-'01 Impreza RS, part number "22611 AE550". http://www.ebay.com/itm/321934716694. So now I'm wondering the following:

1. What is the best way of verifying that it's the correct ECU?

2. Does anyone know of a place to buy Subaru wiring harnesses? Ebay, Google, and the local pull-and-pay have failed me thus far.

Thanks!

-Steve

Give Joel a call or email.

http://www.greensyncro.com/

Vanagon Sales - Parts - Upgrades - Restoration - Engine Conversions 
Working only on 1982-1991 Vanagons, Syncros and Westfalias. 
Located in Manitou Springs, near Colorado Springs, CO

Content copyright 2016. GREENSYNCRO.COM. All rights reserved.

Contact us at 719-213-7604, or

manitousyncro@gmail.com thanks!

I have a ecu from a 2002 Subaru Legacy, $30 shipped.