Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am going to look at a 98 Outback tomorrow. Did it come with 2.5L engine as standard, or could I get the 2.2L engine as in Legacy?

What's a good price range for it? I don't know the miles on it, nor if manual/auto, but the asking price is 3K. I am a bit scared about all the 2.5L engine problems I hear on this forum in phase I 2.5. Would a good price compensate for it? Any issues to watch out for?

We have a 01 Outback in the family, and it runs very nicely.

I bought a 98 OBW a year ago, and have been really happy with it. Mine has the 2.5L which I think was standard. It has the 5spd. I just had the 90K mile service done, and it came out with a clean report.

3K seems low to me, but without milage and all that other info, it is hard to say if that is a good price for that car.

We looked at and drove a 98 Outback a few weeks ago. It had the 2.5, at, and 143k miles on it. Very clean and nice car and at the price the dealer was going to let us have it at---$4300. We would have bought it but the previous owner didn't disclose some of the problems on it when they traded it and we decided to pass on it.

IIRC, the 2.2 was available only in 95 & 96, after that the 2.5 was standard issue.