Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 forester tz1a4zcfac inerchange with other years and models?

Thanks for your help. I dubble checked transmission code and it is the tz1a4zcfac in the 99 forester. I recentally aquired this car so I don't know the history but could this be a different transmission that was put in. I noticed yellow pen markings on it like from a parts yard. If I'm replacing this transmission should I get the same tz1a4zcfac that's in it now I'm sure it was compadable with the diff ratio because the previous owner was driving it.

• Like 1

Hi,

No offense, but driving it doesn't mean it's correct. The FD ratio is probably fine - 4.44 but the trans computer may not know what to do with it. Is the AT Temp light flashing on startup? You could see if the TCU/TCM (trans computer) from the list above will plug in to yours (doubt it though).

Go to Car-part.com and search on year/make/model - search ALL to find p/n.....search local for pricing. I found this trans code: TZ1A3ZC2AA

When I Google that P/N:

What This Fits

Subaru Forester 2.5L AT L    1999, 2000, 2001
Subaru Forester 2.5L AT S    1999, 2000, 2001

That's the wrong trans in your car.....probably why it failed.....speaking of which, What's it doing?
  • Like 1

Well the light dose flash on random times and when I put it into gear the car moves but if you give it gas it slips out of gear and makes a high reving sound and the speedometer lurches. It seems like it goes into all gears nicely the problem is when u give it gas. This must explain why it holds way less fluid than the transmission that's supost to be in it. I think the specs said to put 9.8 quarts in the 99 forester and it was full like a little after six I was totally confused when this happend makes sense now. Also when I put it into gear with the car off you can hear a buzzing electrical noise coming from the transmission I thought this was weird also.

The correct amount of fluid is probably about the same between the trans....about 10 qts.>>> 5 is in the pan; 5 in the torque converter. If it was empty, you'd have to put in some, start it to cycle the ATF thru the TC, check it, fill some more, repeat til Full on the dipstick...ATF checking in a Subie is a PITA.

I can't diagnose your other issues - although low fluid may have the same symptoms you describe, but there's likely a way to retrieve the codes stored in the TCU...w/out a scanner - look/search on Google - I know there is for the '98 and earlier. It's a called a 'secret handshake' or similar due to the way it's retrieved by moving the shifter + brake + on/of ignition...w/the car NOT running.

• Like 1

Thank you for your time and helping me figure out I have the wrong transmission in. I'm totally new to this stuff I have been learning as I go and who knows how long it would of taken me to figure this out. I'm still confused about the fluid levels I'm pretty sure it was full at 6.5 or so quarts I started the car several times and it was still full so I don't know .So my question is do you recommend I take the car into a mechanic shop and have them dignose problem or should I just get the right tranny tz1a3zc2aa at the salvage yard and go that rought.I can get one right now for $550 with 11k on it.

I'm not sure what you did w/the ATF so hard to say...you put in  6.5 qts? Why was it so low? Were you changing it out? Did you shift it THROUGH the gears (don't have to drive it) to circulate the fluid?

As I noted above, there is fluid in the torque converter AND the transmission so likely there was already some in there, which would make up the ~3.5 qt difference.

I don't know your tech/mech level....but if you have a Subaru shop you trust (not necessarily a dealer, but Highly recommend a Subaru-trained shop), I'd have them do it.

You can pull the codes yourself - READ THIS LINK  for info

Attached are pics of the TCU's for your '99 and a 2004 Legacy....it LOOKS like they should interchange, but that doesn't mean it'll work, as the transmission you have installed may have the VDC/VTD and the wiring for the sensors aren't likely in your wiring harness from the transmission to the TCU....since yours is 5 years older. If you have a USED parts yard nearby that allows returns you could try it.

So, Yes, the best route is to just find a compatible transmission. Although 11K miles looks good on paper, it's important to see how long it's been sitting on their shelf. The internal seals will harden up if not in use and they probably won't warranty the seals if the trans leaks after being installed. I can't say how long is TOO long, but I'd be cautious if over a year sitting on the shelf. The parts place should have the VIN from the car it came out of and you get a VIN check for $1.50 here - http://www.freecheapvin.myspan.in/ - to see if the #'s and dates match what they're telling you.

TD

post-3804-0-31605400-1474425198_thumb.jpg

post-3804-0-79746000-1474425521_thumb.jpg

• Like 1