Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone i first post here. I am 99% Sure i am buying a 2006 FXT this Saturday. Just want to check to see what y'all think and if there is anything you recommend i check out. Details, it is a 2006 FXT with 88k miles. Fresh oem headgaskets and timing belt and tensioners within the last 1k miles. Only things wrong with it are a few stress cracks in the sun roof, and the current owner says he thinks it needs new struts. Plan is to pay 6200 for it we will see how that goes. Are there any common issues with these other than headgaskets and timing belts? What should i look for. Tell me what ya think. Thanks 

post-64551-0-97868000-1474572279_thumb.jpg

post-64551-0-70857000-1474572281_thumb.jpg

post-64551-0-07763500-1474572283_thumb.jpg

post-64551-0-93015400-1474572283_thumb.jpg

for me it would largely depend on why the headgaskets were replaced?

were Subaru OEM gaskets used and were the heads resurfaced?

if it's aftermarket headgaskets i likely wouldn't want it. if the heads weren't resurfaced i'd be hesitatnt without further deails on what precipidated the replacement.

does it come with an existing warranty on that work and is it transferable to a new owner? most shops give 12,000 miles or 12 month warranties.

Are there any common issues with these other than headgaskets

headgaskets aren't common with that engine - you're thinking of the 4 cylinder non-turbo engine. the turbo variant is generally not prone to headgasket issues. Edited by grossgary

In the end it sounds like you've found the car you want at the price point you want, so just roll with it.

Most people like excellent synthetic oil service records - they don't fair well with poor oil mainenance, far less forgiving than their non-turbo counterparts.  The engines and turbo's are pricey and tend to coordinate their departure from this world. 

What brand gasket and were the heads resurfaced?

I'm suspicious of the story - radiator failure and it's associated little overheating isn't ever a reason to do another asymptomatic 10 hours and $2,000+ worth of work.  

That literally never happens, radiators are cheap, easy and don't need removed to do the headgaskets.

"You drove on low tire pressure/spare too long with that tire before it went flat - we better rebuild your transmission for $2,500 in case the differential and 4WD were affected"

The guy I'm getting it from is a Subaru mechanic in a shop

And bought the car for his grandmother did all this work so it would be safe and reliable for her. She didn't want the power or the responsibility of maintaining it so he is putting it up for sale. It all sounds reasonable to me

But I am also very trusting.