Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 2.5 Outback 'Clacking' at Low RPM

Hi,

New here, searching for answers for a strange 'problem' that my mechanic can't diagnose (at lease not without dropping $200+).

My '03 Legacy Outback 2.5 is making a strange sound between 200 - 1200 RPM (approx).

The car has 175,000 miles on it, and generally runs very well. It did get low on oil at one point some months ago, so not sure if that contributed. But I have done two full engine flushes, as well as a fuel system flush, and new plugs, and the car really seems to be running better than ever... except for this odd 'clacking' sound.

Another mechanic I know who did not actually hear the car, said it may be some sensor or something in the fuel system path, and I guess I'm just tryong to find out if anyone has had a similar issue.

Thanks for any info you might provide.

Regards,

Joe

Hi, thanks for all the replies, the cause of the noise was a toasted timing belt tensioner.

A good family friend who is also a great mechanic fixed it for me this past weekend (I was able to get the pulley kit and new belt from Advanced auto).

All in all I feel lucky because the alternatives could have been really bad.

Thanks!

• Like 1