Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here and to Soobs!

I recently purchased (my 1st) Subaru, a 2006 Impreza 2.5i to drive this winter, you know the season opposite to construction. Signed up to the forum to gain more knowledge and get some help from time to time.

Before purchasing it, the previous owner let me look over the car extensively. I deducted it needs a right side head-gasket and plug tubes reseal. He also let me pull the codes with my reader...
P0041, P0042, P0047, O2 related.
P0700, P0701, P0704, trans fluid is just at the low mark. Shifted ok, trans was a little slow to respond to gear requests by driver, but the auto-stick cable seems stiff. Also, the car has been sitting with a wasted battery for a few months. Might do well with a bit of driving. It has new brakes, newer struts and an exhaust leak in the midsection. It has minimal rust, only a bit where the rear bumper bolts to the body at the wheel well on both sides. Negligible compared to most Subies in this climate. Should run out well in the end. He was asking $3ooo, I paid $19oo(cdn).

About me...With the addition of the Subie, we are now an AWD only household as my wife has an AWD SUV as well. Important as I live in a rural area and rarely get plowed out immediately after a snow storm. I also am a volunteer firefighter in my community and have responded any time of the day/night regardless of road conditions. My knowledge of cars and my garage is well setup, Car&1/2, Compressor, MIG welder, chain hoist on the ceiling etc. Many a car has been triaged or resurrected at my place. My last winter car, 99 Mazda Protege, went to 357oookms and to 17 yrs old. Still sold it for $3oo biggrin.gif . I also enjoy working on cars, except when it has to get me to work the next day, lol. "Something about engines calms me down" - Jessie F&F lol.gif I put 200 hrs into Ford's MAP40 service tech program, but never finished, some days I regret. Everything else is self taught or experience. Ive was tasked with oil changes and seasonal tire swaps/rotations by my father since I was about 10. My most recent foray has been into map tuning my summer car with Accessport.

I purchased the Subie to save my summer car from the winter roads. I have a 2006 MazdaSpeed6 GT, currently just over 300hp (not dyno'd, but it has run a sloppy 14.3 1/4mi). Not bad for a portly family sedan that can still pass an emissions test. It only has 78ooomi (US car). When looking for a toy car, it actually came down to the Speed6, or 03-06 STi or Audi S4. In a wierd round-a-bout way I can (imagine) enjoying my 2nd choice.post-64644-0-13002300-1475285200_thumb.jpgpost-64644-0-99077800-1475285245_thumb.jpg