Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tseekins,

It really comes down to how many years are you going to own the car, but more importantly, where is the car going to spend its time, in a rust zone with salt trucks, or in California?

With all of the Subies I've owned, rust has proven to be no more of an issue than it is for any other make of car.

If you want to stay rust free, if you live in an region where they use a lot of salt on winter roads, then get the car oil sprayed every other year to head the problem off at the pass.

Here in Southern,Ontario, Canada, they use salt on the roads, and I oil spray my cars every other year. Only one of my four subies ever needed some rust touch up, and that was my 04(03?) at the seam between the bumper cover and the rear quarter panel at the wheel arch. It was about an inch long and just surface rust. Easy fix. Not bad for 20 years of driving subies, and no different than any other manufacturer.

Well put. My uncle still has his 69 Ford pick up because he oil sprayed the underside and water catch spots.

As for opinions on newer Subarus also rusting I can say I live near NYC where snow and salt are every winter that I don't see the last two generations rusting yet.

But I do see rust on Subarus around the 200-2004 era more so than the elder 90-94's.

They are not going to make a car that lasts 20 years easily these days. Conspiracy theorist here maybe , but to me you have to look at all possibilities the company built in to the car that will cause an issue and protect your car from those construction practices.

There will always be seams where rust will start. If it's like those atop of the rear strut towers then the smart thing to do is protect those seams as early as possible.

If too far down the road , perhaps the latest rust stopper and then treatment.

• Like 1

I have a 1996 legacy that lived in VA its entire life. It is starting to show signs of rust on the drivers side beneath the doors as well as above the rear wheel in the quarter panel.  It also has a few spots on the undercarriage none of which are all that bad ( I suspect this has something to do with where it has been its whole life). If you search my previous posts you will see pics detailing this. 

With that being said I also have a 2005 outback with no signs of rust anywhere on the exterior or engine compartment and very minimal If at all surface rust on a few spots underneath. The previous owner had this car all over the us from Washington state, to Luisianna, back to burning man festival out in the desert for a bit and finally living the last few years of its life before I purchased it in MD. It has been all over and is in excellent condition despite minimal maintenance (And I would also assume general car care), as he seemed to take more of a reactionary stance on the matter.

My 2016 wrx is too new to tell, haha not a speck of rust yet.

From my first two cars I can conclude that subaru seems to be getting better with its vehicle corrosion protection, I would assume this has to do with advances in technology and metal treatments/ paint available.

If it were me, I would feel comfortable purchasing any car newer than 2004 as I know they had the same body style from 2005-2009 aside from your general PPI that you would do with any car. Just my 2 cents

Edited by vtwinjunkie
  • Like 1

I think after seeing your two posts I'd say just get the Crosstrek or your favorite and spend the extra to have it rust proofed properly. And then down the line of course heavy rinse cycles in the winter and always using a wand and jetting water up into the strut towers etc.

With what I saw the Connecticut road treatment did to my Zeibart rust protection I advise you to then check it for any needed touch up after a few years of the original application.

Shedding water. That's the key. And knowing where the catch spots are and rinsing them out.

Strut towers , fuel filler necks , rear linkage meeting the body , behind front fender tails , and going further back the firewalls at the base and , once upon a time - what got in from cowls that are no longer built in. That's the nutshell history of what we've seen trying to protect these Subarus in the rust zones.

Crosstrek sure is cool !! :)

No hesitation on modern subarus. No worse than any other make. Just inspect for existing rust when buying used and then care for it according to where you live thereafter.

I seem to remember that the older 70s and 80s cars were more prone to rust than some competitors. Rumor was that they were made out of more recycled metals but I'm not sure. The old GLs do seem to be eaten more quickly by salt than the newer generations.