Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Outback" is like an equipment level, it is not a model name. They could make a Justy Outback if they wanted to, and not break the logic.
Well...

With the introduction of the 2000 model of Legacys, Subaru positioned the "Outback" as a model unto itself. It was no longer "Legacy Outback" as my 97 says, right on the tailgate. Granted, they use the 'Legacy' platform, but... they marketed it as it's own model. (I'm not sure how they treated the Impreza based OBS... I think it was thrown under the "Outback" model heading.)

Can anyone tell me - Are the 2005 models (Legacys and Outbacks) still using the same platform? Or have they 'diverged' them? To any extent? Just wondering.

FWIW, I recall years ago ... There was the Toyota Corolla. Then there was a Corolla Celica model (trim level, whatever you want to call it). Then the Celica became it's own model (with it's own platform at some point). Then there was a Celica Supra. (Catching the trend?). Then there was the Supra. And so it goes.

It's getting even more challenging to follow this stuff. Companies are developing "world" platforms. What were once very different 'makes' are now (or shortly will be) built off the same platform. It's all about economy and efficiency. We've got the Vibe/Matrix for example. The Saabaru (Saab 92X) that has been discussed here. Etc.

Keeps things interesting, that is for sure. :)

Commuter