Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hydrocarbon test online?? For Head Gasket

Hi All!

I decided NOT to flush my system. I changed the Thermostat. Seems to run cooler. I'm not convinced till the next hot day, and a long hill! Meanwhile I'de like to check and see if I destroyed my head Gasket, I'de like to do that Hydrocarbon test thing online. I can't find one.....anybody got a link??

Many thanks again!!!! SubeeTed

I am not sure what "on line" test you are looking for but I do know of other methods.

some people use a smog test probe and "sniff" by the radiator cap while open. or thy sell a "block test" kit at napa and other stores. a good pressure tester will help too.

If your cooling system is in good shape, then test the temp with an aftermarket guage. The temp guages are not renown for their accuracy. I changed the guage cluster in my Brat, and the temp dropped 1/4" on the guage, and the oil pressure dropped by half. The voltage went up to where it was supposed to be. The original cluster had 135k on it, and the one I put in had 137k. Go figure. I'm going to install some digital guages for my temp, and probably a mechanical oil pressure guage.....

GD