Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange Sound!

In my 1986 GL 4WD 5 speed carbed; Started a couple weeks ago. It's a flapping sound that's coming from the front passenger side wheel well like something was wrapped around the CV axle making that flapping noise, but it ain't. It starts at about 15mph and seems to disappear between 20 to 25mph. In my mind I picture it making that flapping sound twice per revolution of the front tire. It's not a clicking sound to my ear since I have replaced clicking CV axles in the past. It makes the noise turning either way or going straight. The sound may continue at higher speeds and I'm just not hearing it over the sound of the engine. I've lifted the front wheel up and tried wiggling it in all directions but found no significant play anywhere and there was nothing wrapped around the axle and the CV boots are fine. It's the same kind of sound you'd get with something wrapped around your driveshaft. There's no wobbles or vibration at low or high speeds. For you old guys who remember putting a playing card on your bikes when you were kids that flapped against the spokes, sounds sorta like that but not quite so fast. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

I replaced the front right axle just in case that was it and it wasn't. What's a loose motor mount sound like? Blown head gasket or exhaust manifold gasket? Transmission mount? Be nice if I had a lift to check all this stuff instead of having to crawl under. Now it sounds like it's coming from the transmission area but still on the passenger side. Can only hear it under acceleration and then, not constant. Other than this weird sound it drives fine. S'pect I'll have to keep driving it 'til something breaks, then I'll know what it is and fix it.

If its not a metal to metal sound (grinding, clicking , ect) then it may be a loose piece of fender trim, loose mudflap, or the plastic wheel well insert is loose.

Sounds like you need a passenger to stick their head out of the window and take a look at it while your driving.