Ultimate Subaru Message Board

04 Forester XT - skipping timing?

HELP. I have an 04 Forester XT that is blocking my driveway. It's not my Forester but it needs to move. I start up the car, it starts up okay and sounds good for about 3-4 seconds. Then there is a click/ pop sound and then the engine starts shaking something knarly. I stop the car, fix the timing, try it again, and wham bam same thing. It's off again. With that 3-4 second delay, it wouldn't be any thing to do with oil/hydraulic pressure on something would it? Played with the tensioner, nothing seems to be stuck or held up. Help. I want this thing gone.

I'm confused;  car starts good runs 3-4 seconds  goes click pop and now it shake rattles and doesn't roll out of your driveway ?  Then you "fix " the timing ??? what exactly are you doing ? then it starts fine again one time for 3-4 seconds ? then shakes again ? There is no timing adjustment on EJ motors ... is the belt off time each try ?  If it is then its amazing it hasn't bent the valves yet.  Try to identify whatever is going click pop that may help narrow it down.

Edited by montana tom

It almost sounds like a fan crack pop when it does it.

What is this 'fan crack pop' of which you speak?

I'm confused too.

You're actually pulling the timing covers off, and doing what amounts to a timing belt job each time b4 you start it again?

Since the XT is the DOHC engine, it's a PITA to do the t-belt so this must be getting old....

And pull  the codes from the ECU....I'd imagine there's 1  or 10 stored.

Let us know...

Td

timing tensioner

timing failure - belt, pulleys. 

turbo component failure?

do those engines have variable valve timing actuators/solenoids?

If it's jumping timing and sitting in your driveway with jumping timing, maybe it jumped timing in the past and bent some valves. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tensioner has been replaced, timing belt was just done, the valves were bent when it went in.  Those have been replaced now,   The oil pump was freezing and throwing off the timing.  Now that is replaced and the car starts up, it doesn't pop anymore but it still shakes (not as bad) and makes the rough putt putt sound..  I'll try and get a video later.  Spark plugs and wires are new and triple checked...  oh lawdy.

and nope.  no engine codes.

The guy has been taking it to Jiffy Lube to get oil changes.  So when it actually broke, he brought it to a friend of mine, who has done the timing belt, plugs, valves... etc.  even cleaned everything he could think of after finding chunks of oil and cardboard or something lodged near the pump.  (Kids, remember to change your oil on time and use quality stuff!!!)     It's not jumping timing anymore (no more click, shake shake shake)  

HELP!!!  any sensors that could be doing this??????    I swear any actual mechanical workings of this have been thought of...

(I really just want to help him get this out of his garage because it's taking up the space where I can pull my car in to fiddle with.... UGH!  LOL)