Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 2.5L Key Won't turn to "LOCK" in ignition.

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy outback limited and today while turning the vehicle off, as per the norm I shifted to P and turned the car off, the key turned from ON to almost at LOCK and won't turn all the way to LOCK to release the key, I can turn back to ACC, ON and START, but It won't turn to LOCK to release the key. The shifter is able to go through all the gears without having to press the brake pedal, whether the car is on or off. I'm at a loss, can't figure out if it's an electrical or mechanical issue, the tumbler or the shift lock on the shifter. If anyone has come across the same issue any help would be appreciated, i just don't want to start throwing parts at it, thanks.

Hi and Welcome,

Not the expert, but there's a AT Shift Lock sensor under the dash that that requires the brake pedal  to be depressed to shift and is somehow connected to the ignition - it could be broken, but that's (really) rare. Disconnecting the NEGative battery terminal may reset it...but not sure.

Also, you could try accessing the shift lock override button under the cover console for the AT shifter - it's shown in the Owner's Manaul, IIRC. It may be 'hung up' causing similar issues.

GL,

Td

• Like 1