Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

is it worth the time to polish rods and crank?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:05 PM

is it worth my time to polish the piston rods, and the areas of the crank that touch oil (ie: not the bearing areas) to reduce friction in the oil?

because there is so much oil around and about the crank and rods in a flat 4, I was thinking this would have some good benefits.

Also, what about the insides of the block, I've seen small discussions on polishing and/or painting (high temp engine paint) to reduce tendancy of the oil to stick to the insides of the block. I think this might not necessarily be worth the time.

Thanks for any opinions.

#2 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:12 PM

I'd ask a VW shop what they think.

#3 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:49 PM

one word: yes

it works on otehr engine, why not try a subie now.

#4 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:04 PM

I'm an old VW guy (and an Engineer). I doubt you would see measurable gain from polishing the crank and rods, there velocity alone will shed the oil quickly and I believe the subie engine has a good windage tray. RPM is a big factor in these kind of losses, and while 6000 isn't to bad its not the 12,000 that high end race engines run.

Polishing the case could cause some trouble (I know it can be disastrous for a air/oil cooled VW), as it will reduce heat transfer. Polished surfaces have much less surface area than the raw casting, the oil will hold more heat instead of passing it out through the case and to the water jacket. In fact, one of the important things that oil does is transferring heat from the friction producing areas to cooler places in the engine so if it spends a little clinging to the case its really not a bad thing, as long as its not so slow that you’re pumping the sump dry.

Gary

#5 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,902 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:27 PM

With the amount of work for such a little gain, it's not worth it IMO. To smooth the casting from the INSIDE of the block would be such a pain and VERY timely. If you keep the oil changed regularly like you do in the Legacy, you shouldn't have a problem with it:D

On another note, gimme a call this weekend. I'm gonna be over at Chris Kobernick's house and I'll have my phone on. Later Jon
Russ

#6 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:29 PM

Polishing metal parts removes rough edges, in turn removing stress risers. Stress risers are areas where cracks can form. Rods are often polished and shot-peened to make them tougher. Of course, they need to be balanced afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users