Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb'd vs spfi

Hello I have a 94 loyale with 270k on the clock. She is wore out and just lost compression on cylinders 1 and 3. Nows where I get to the point. I also have an 86 I bought for the d/r trans, it only has 75k on it but it's carb'd. So my question is can I take the intake off of my spfi and bolt it to the carb'd? Is there anything else I would have to change? I looked them over a bit and it looks like it will bolt right up but before I go pulling motors I'm sure there's Someone on here that can shed a little light on the situation. Any info or advice would be much appreciated

The lower part of the engine is the same. The SPFI manifold bolts right on. The EGR port might be different just take a look to be sure.

The best way to get the bolts loose without snapping them is to run the engine to normal operating temperature, shut down and loosen them imediatly.

Use only OEM intake gaskets. Antisieze on the bolts but be careful not to over tourque them.

• Like 1

Oh, yes. You need the SPFI disty. That slipped my mind because when I did it, I resealed the 86 engine, and put the cam carrier with the SPFI disty on as one piece. We are talking about using the 86 block in an existing SPFI body, right?

Yes that's exactly what I want to do. So swap intakes and disty and I should be good to go?

I was reading something someone said about welding up two ports or something like that. That's when I got confused and figured I better ask you guys on here.

The only thing I don't remember is if the egr is different. Pretty easy to check, on the SPFI it's on the side away from the starter. A small stainless steel 90 degree tube with nuts like brake line fittings. Loosen those hot also. Best with a flare nut wrench.

The ports that you read of being welded are most likely the ASV ports underside of the heads on the carbed engine. The SPFI system doesn't need them, so you can remove all of that as you swap engines over.

IF,, you can get the nuts that hold the ASV tubes to the heads loose, you can cut the tubes close to the nuts, remove the nuts and place a quarter in the port on the heads, re-install nut with the stub of the tube.

• Like 1