Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi my cruise light is blinking, and the cruise control stopped working.  Tried what it said in the manual to try to turn it back on (that is to turn it to acc or lock then back on to the on position.  It didn't say to push the cc start button or anything though) as I think it got turned off when I had a diagnostics run on it but it did work before that.  It had just turned it on and it shut off when the check engine light came on which is why I went for the diagnostics which turned out to be that the catalytic converter sensed it wasn't running optimally.  Would the fuse have fried when that happened?  If so which fuse would it be? This is the 2.5 engine not the turbo

Edited by dangerous

Hi,

Fix the Check Engine Light/CEL, as you're Cruise won't work 'til then.

The ECU (computer) has a limp-mode/fail-safe option so you can't use the Cruise when the CEL is on, and the Cruise light blinks to let you know there's an issue.

Fix/replace the 02 sensor code and you're back in business.

Td

Ok thanks.  Wondering how difficult that is to change myself.  Watched a video on youtube but not sure what kind of vehicle the dude was working on, and couldn't find a video specific to an 07 Outback.  Does anyone happen to know which other year models have the same mechanical configurations?  Just bought the car up in Denver (Where they do emissions testing) last week the guy at Auto Zone who did the diagnostic thought that maybe the change in altitude might have something to do with the oxygen sensor not reading right.  He had suggested using a catalytic converter cleaner to run through the gas.  Would this possibly solve the problem or just be a temporary fix?  What he said also is that the quality of the gas we get down here is quite a bit lower than what they get up in the Denver area so if that's the case do I need a sensor that can accommodate that?

P0420 code?

Always start with a tune-up. Spark plugs will make all the difference in the world if they're old and worn out. If they have more than 50k on them replace them. 

Air filter, fuel filter, and a Subaru PCV valve. Go after expensive O2 sensors if that doesn't clear up the problem.