Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bearing noise?

Well I have read the previous posts about this, but it doesn't answer me. I have an 85 GL wagon 4wd. Well a little bit ago, an knock/bump became hearable in the rear end. This knock will stay constant with speed. I jacked the rear up and spun the tires and close to the rear passenger was the source...kinda. I took out the cv on that side and took it for a drive. The knock quit, until I turned right then it bumped again. It doesn't knock when driving with the shaft out, only on turns. I reinstalled the CV but backwards this time and the knock is still there, but very faint. Could this be my wheel bearings? I also shook the tire and it was tight not loose. I'm a bit confused any help would help. Kind regards, Dan

I would say it's a bearing... just by the description turning tells a tale... by turning pressure is applied and the bearing will squawk/growl/grind in repetition... when you turn the other way it is still noticeable but not as much.. should be your left rear if you turn right and it sqwaks..

I never took the bearings out.. there is an inner and outter bearing.. i just splooge some grease into the outter put it back together and all is good..

Edited by Len Dawg

i've rarely seen Subaru wheel bearings exhibit play when they're failing.  i've even seen them feel tight on the car and not after i have it removed...not sure how/why, but they just seem unpredictable. 

two wheel bearing determination "aids" - though nothing is ever definitive with wheel bearings: 

1. listen with mechanics stethoscope on hub or strut spring while turning wheel - listen for noises

2. hit it with a temperaure gun after driving - after hearing the noise.  compare both sides in the same areas - usually takes a few readings to get a feel for what's happening since temps can vary wildly across a short distance. 

here's a thread i made:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/143097-is-that-my-wheel-bearing-easy-diagnosis/

pictures don't seem to be showing up for me so here's a repeat:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/111946-easy-wheel-bearing-diagnosis.html

but again - that's not definitive either - it only sometimes shows ones that exhibit no other symptoms.