Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright gang, I have another inquiry here.

I recently replaced the power steering/alternator belt in my 99 legacy L because I heard some squealing. Then I was noticing that as I am driving in any gear, I can hear another squealing noise. I can hear it even while rolling in neutral, and it stops just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop. Changed the a/c belt just a few days ago and I am still hearing the squeal... It doesn't matter whether or not I'm blasting the system, or a/c. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Teddy G

I would guess brake pads, but it could be other things as well.

Had a squeal/squeak noise coming from the carrier bearing on the driveshaft on my 96. Sprayed it with some pb blaster and it went away for about a day. Ended up replacing the driveshaft. Didn't want to have that lock up while I was driving.

Thanks for the idea, Sooberoo. I'll look into the break pads first. Hopefully it's not the latter problem you had. I am curious though. Before you replaced your driveshaft were you experiencing a sort of jerkiness when letting off and putting on the accelerator? And not working the clutch? And if so, did replacing the driveshaft help with that problem?

That's the Subaru jerk, and they all pretty much do it. Can't say I noticed a huge difference, but that might have been because I was focusing on other things. Thinking about it, I would say it may be slightly better with the new driveshaft, but its still there.

The carrier bearing itself won't make a difference in that, but if the rubber hanger around the bearing is worn out then a new one will probably make a difference in that jerkiness.

Any worn suspension bushings will also add to that jerkiness, same with old worn or aftermarket axles.