Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear cross member interchangeability?

how future mad did i just make myself? i just got back from looking at a 98 outback with bad head gaskets and my plan is going to pull the engine from my 95 and put it into the 98. both cars are auto will the 2.2 motor swap into the 98 outback? the outback has the 2.5 motor will the transmission bolt in? will i need to swap wiring harnesses and computers? how much aggravation did i just put upon myself?

i know went from the cross member to a whole car. i left out the details about mine that the rear half of the body is also full of rust and if i replace the cross member ill probly only buy it another 3 or 4 years the new cars body should last alot longer and at the price of 200 bucks i cant pass it up.

Edited by sirtokesalot

It might be cheaper to get one on car-part.com  

That way, you don't have the labor to take it off a donor.

i dont mind pulling the parts engines already out once i have the new car running im also pulling the trans and diff from it just in case im also swapping most of the interior and if i can get the windshield out im also taking that because the new one has a cracked windshield and the old car will go to the scrap yard when finished.