Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'99 Impreza Outback Sport - brake light when damp?

This began a few weeks ago. When I firmly pressed the brake pedal, the brake light would come on. It would do this only the first couple of times I braked (but only upon a firm pedal push, not my usual 'soft' braking). The other day the light stayed on as I drove... except when I stopped at a red light, the brake light went off as I started moving again, until I got to 20mph when it would light again (I was able to repeatedly cause this strange situation). The issue seems to be related to moisture?! The previous constantly-on situation occurred on a rainy day, and the earlier sporadic 'first couple of stops' seemed only to occur on damp/foggy mornings. During a recent unusually warm spell of 3 days, the light never came on. Today, after yesterday's damp + intermittent light, a blast of chilly dry northern air blew through, and once again, during all my driving today, the light never came on. (Just to be clear - the light does properly come on when I pull up on the parking brake lever). Suggestions for the cause/cure hugely appreciated (and my mechanic brother just strongly suggested fluid level - but I don't understand why the fault is then completely inconsistent). Thanks!

most likely the fluid reservoir is low. Have you checked if your brother is right? It's a simple magnet and float arranfment and the float can stick or be influenced by changes in temperature or sharp turns, hard braking, vibration etc. if the float is hovering near the trip point.

modern systems are designed to try to synchronize brake pad weear with fluid reservoir level. But on used/older cars this synchronization may be lost. Ideally, the fluid would me topped off at MAX immediately after all 4 wheels got new pads.

still, if the brakes have not been inspected for wear recently - good idea to do that in addition to checking the brake fluid level.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

"Brake light"?

Do you mean the warning-light on the dash-panel?

Or the red-lights at the rear of the car?

Sorry - dash light. I guess I assumed mentioning the parking brake handle was enough but rereading my own text, I can see the deficiency.