Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru GL keeps shearing the CV roll pin at the trans stub shaft

So my GL sheared the roll pin that goes through the inner CV and through the spline on the transmission. Axle is an O'reilly special with the lifetime warranty, was replaced under warranty.  New axle and roll pin, new hub nut.  Got them installed just now, made very sure that the roll pin hole was lined up when I put the CV on the trans stub spline.  Tapped the roll pin in gently, it installed without issue.  Reinstalled everything, torqued all my bolts.  Took the car for a test drive, barely made it a few blocks before the frakking roll pin sheared again, and I had to limp home in 4wd with the axle banging around under the hood.

What the crap is going on? Do I just keep getting bad axles? Or is is my transmission somehow at fault?  I searched a bit but didn't see any instances of anyone else shearing the roll pin.

Edited by Cyfun

You have the wrong axle.  The roll pin cannot shear with the proper one, as the splines take the rotational load.  There is no way a roll pin can handle that amount of torque.

Count the splines on the transmission stub, and the axle end.  They won't match in your situation.  This has been seen on the board a number of times.

There is a combination of axle and transmission that will appear to go together ok, until you load the axle by driving the car.

Da fuq?  How many splines should there be?  The axle I got was part number 60-7009, which has 25 inboard splines, 30 outboard.  I did have some trouble getting it replaced under warranty, cause I didn't have my receipt. Had to call their customer service, who found that my original axle was part number 60-7008, which was supposedly superseded by 7009.  Maybe the 7009 is different somehow.

Hm, so on the O'reilly's website, they list the 7009 as the cheapest front axle, then the SB8003 costing a bit more, but having 23 inboard splines instead of 25.  Guess that's what happened. The "superceded" axle is wrooooooooong.

Your ea82 na is 23 spline, only the ea82t transmission have 25 spline stubs.

Nice. O'reilly's site claims both the 23 and 25 spline are compatible with almost all the EA82s:   http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPV0/607009/01424.oap?year=1986&make=Subaru&model=GL&vi=1430382&ck=Search_cv+half+shaft+%21s%21+axle+shaft_1430382_1751&keyword=cv+half+shaft+%21s%21+axle+shaft#compatibilityTab_

Whelp, after some digging I found out that they sold me the wrong axle.  My original axle being a 60-7008 is in fact the 23 spline.  But apparently they don't offer that axle anymore, and when I took mine in for replacement, they gave me the 60-7009, which is the 25.

Man, that's two afternoons wasted on this, and I'm still not done.

I once considered EMPI or stock Subaru axles. But I'd already bought the O'reilly specials with the lifetime warranties. And even if I did go buy nice EMPI or Subaru axles, the sort of driving I do, it's likely I'll bust an axle every year or two anyway.  Axle boots, especially.  So at this point, makes more sense to replace an O'reilly axle for free every year, rather than spend money every 3 years on a new axle.  Hell, once you do it once or twice, it's like 30 minutes R&R.  Plus, since they have lifetime warranties, I keep a spare in back in case I bust one on the trail.