Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what size axle nut on a 88 dl wagon ?

mine are missing (this was before o got married) and the axles are missing as well i bought a axle from a store i cannot remember but the kid told me they are all the same,there not turbo is bigger on the tranny end. are there any good aftermarket axles out there or should i godd original equipment?

The axle nut is a M24-1.50 castle nut.  You can get them at most parts stores under Dorman part number 615-106 or 05138.

As for the axles, some come with nuts, some don't.  The parts store ones will likely only last a year or two, so if you do go that route, get ones with lifetime warranties such as at O'Reilly's.  OEMs are great, but expensive.  Many folks get OEM CV's from the junkyard and put new boots on them. Alternatively, I hear EMPI makes some good quality axles.

have someone mail you some used ones -post in the parts wanted section? someone has a few lying around. i'm thinking all EA82, ER, EJ, EZ are the same right? nearly endless supply of axle nuts.

i feel like any junkyard would give you one for pocket change?

Edited by grossgary

Yeah, well he asked what size the nut was, and got the right answer.  If he is looking for nuts at the local Fasteners'R'Us, that is what he needed to know.  But he needed to know the size of wrench to take with him to the PnP to acquire some, and this didn't come out until 2 posts later.

It is just as important to ask the right question, as it is to read it carefully.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

i will try pull and save payday just wondering what size socket to bring to take axle nut off.

Same size as the old air cooled VW axle nuts - 36 mm, or if you're having trouble finding a 36, 1 7/16 inch works in a pinch.

Bring a long prybar to lock the hub from moving by placing it across 2 wheel studs, one top, one bottom side of studs.

• 2 months later...