Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ball joint boot

i went to replace the bearings on my drivers side hub  because i found out i cannot tow a subi without axles in it (news Flash). when i went to take the bolt off the hub that holds the ball joint in it broke. i managed to get the remains out by drilling a little bigger hole and while i was at it i changed the ball joint,they are cheap, but when i went to put the boot on it tore. should i replace the whole ball joint again or can i replace the boot. i am already thinking of replacing the hub with a good used on. that whole area got red hot enough to melt the brake hose. i got new bearings and seals and i ordered a new brake line. calipers (loaded ) and rotors are next.

Get a quality balljoint that's already assembled with the boot. MOOG is a good brand.

Recently, I've bought a couple subaru balljoints that have a grease fitting on the top. This totally confuses me because it's physically impossible to grease it once it's installed (nor is there room for the grease fitting....)

So just be careful to check the part when you buy it to make sure it isn't one of those.

Get a quality balljoint that's already assembled with the boot. MOOG is a good brand.

Recently, I've bought a couple subaru balljoints that have a grease fitting on the top. This totally confuses me because it's physically impossible to grease it once it's installed (nor is there room for the grease fitting....)

So just be careful to check the part when you buy it to make sure it isn't one of those.

+1.

When my boot broke I was not able to find a replacement and bought a cheap Chinese ball joint for five dollars.  Needles to say that the boot broke again in six months.  The quality ones will last you but they are not cheap.  My dealer charges more than fifty box for them.

Good luck,

Sam

You could post in the parts wanted section if anyone has used knuckles with ball joints or ball joints or parts cars - maybe they'd extra a boot for you?  There are companies that make replacement tie rod boots if you're into measuring, etc i presume they could do the same for ball joint boots?  Google it. 

But i'd just repalce it. 

If I bought aftermarket I'd get Beck Arnley ball joints if you're trying to save a buck.

I would get an OEM ball joint after doing all this work presumably you want to keep the car a few years and OEM Subaru ball joints are awesome - failure is nearly unheard of.  Other manufacturers have ball joints break ocassionally even in newer cars, I'd rather avoid that risk on such an important part. 

• 7 months later...

Once upon a time, the ball joint boots were available separately through the dealer. I believe SOA sourced them from somewhere, because so many spider monkey mechanics were using pickle forks on them, and ruining the boots, just to get axles off, etc. I say SOA must have sourced them, because since I left the dealership, I can't find a part number. I have found some replacement "boots" that don't clamp and seal around the joint, only suitable for a greasable joint, at Autozone, etc. 

It's a shame, really...