Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Outback Legacy Side Mirror Replacement

Both my side rearview mirrors were destroyed.  The replacement should be easy.  Remove the gusset cover and the 3 screws and the mirror should come off.  However there is only one screw under the cover and it is not the size or shape of those normally used.

These windows are powered and heated.  And there is a speaker attached to the outside of the gusset cover.

The gusset is one piece as best I can tell and there are no holes or screws going through it.  There is no apparent access to the inner side of the gusset.

The broken windows clearly show where the 3 screws would be in the window assembly.  But I cannot find the heads of the screws or see how to get to them if they are on the inside of the gussert.

Help!

Hi,

I might not be following what you mean by 'gusset', but there are 4 screws that hold on the mirror assembly....one is almost under the door card...easier to probably remove it to gain access, but been awhile since I've done one. Should all be bronze colored Phillips head screws.

i can't search images @ work but Google it for pics.

LINK1

GL,

TD

Thanks for the reply.  First I mistakenly used 'windows' for 'mirrors' in the original post.

The reason I posted this topic is that what I am seeing is nothing like what I have seen online or in my manual.  The inside of the gussert does not have the 3 screws as shown practically everywhere I have researched.  This is clearly something different.

I don't know if the gussert mounted speakers are the reason.  They are simple to remove.  And clearly there are 3 screws that I can see from the outside where the mirrors are all broken up.  However the heads of the screws do not appear to pass through the gussert to the inside where I could remove them.  Nor are there caps or other devices covering the screw heads.

I simply cannot see why this gussert is so dramatically different from those commonly shown online and in my manual.  Not can I find a way to get to the heads of the screws.

The remaining parts of the mirror assembly on the outside of the door show that the screws are well up on the gusset.  They are not down below the level of the door. 

This gusset looks very different from any I have seen pictures of.  I will take one side apart later today.  But the geometry does not fit what you are saying. 

There are no screws through the gusset above the door frame which is where the mirror assembly attaches. 

Clearly to remove the gusset I will need to get where it bolts to the door frame.  But the top triangle that holds the mirror assembly is something else.  Again there are no screws and no access to the mirror assembly through the upper triangle of the gusset.

Maybe if I can figure out how to post a pix it will help.

Mystery solved.  The whole assembly was shattered revealing an inner mounting bracket.

The screws I am seeing are actually the screws that hold the mounting bracket to the mirror assembly.  The 'screws' everyone is referencing are those that hold the mounting bracket to the gusset.

The screws that hold the mirror assembly to the mounting bracket are traditional, pointed screws.  The screws that hold the bracket to the gusset are machine screws with Phillips heads that are more bolt than screw.

Anyhow two of those were covered up by the inside door panel.

Thanks to all.