Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine swap 2.5 to 2.2 need some advice

i spent the last few hours at my uncles house starting the job of pulling the 2.2 motor from the 95 legacy i currently have jus about everything off and would like to know if there is more than 4 bolts that hold the engine to the trans? i have removed the starter and the nut lower down on the drivers side as well as the bolt near the top and lower down nut on the passenger side i cannot see any other bolts but would like to confirm this before i attach a hoist and start trying to pull the motor out.

20161024_220510_zpsklij8yoz.jpg

Two bolts in the upper left and right corners (one on each side). Two nuts in the lower left and right bottom (again, one on each side).

And (assuming it's an automatic) there are 4 bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate that you need to remove before the trans will disconnect.

If it's a manual, you're good to go with just the two bolts and 2 nuts.

Edited by golucky66

It depends on what year car your working on. The phase 2 motors starting in 99 had 2 more bolts on each side. If it's a phase 1 motor in a 98 or earlier, then your fine. That is if you removed the exhaust bolts and the 2 engine mount bolts on the bottom

The alignment pins are often corroded into the trans.  I will require you to pry the engine and trans apart.

Go easy, start with a thing screwdriver driven between the engine and trans.  Work up to a pry bar.

Some folks like to drive the pins forward, the passenger side will come out the drivers side will hit the engine block but you can move it half way out of the trans.

• Like 1

This:  

The alignment pins are often corroded into the trans.  I will require you to pry the engine and trans apart.

Go easy, start with a thing screwdriver driven between the engine and trans.  Work up to a pry bar.

Some folks like to drive the pins forward, the passenger side will come out the drivers side will hit the engine block but you can move it half way out of the trans.

They rarely pull apart easily using just the lift.  

I've had to go back and forth from side to side prying like a dozen times before.  Open one side up, go to other side, it opens - but then closes the first side...washrinserepeat 

• Like 1

thank you everyone that responded the car is at my uncles now and i do not have service there so i wont be able to update until later tonite.right now from what im reading the engine is sitting there attached by the corrosion and thats it. this whole processes went alot smoother and faster than i first thought it would only took 2 and a half hours to get to here and i only broke the stupid bolt for the a/c belt shield.

Edited by sirtokesalot

started working on the new car at 9 this morning had the engine out by noon and new one in and running by 4pm i call that a good days work. just the interior bits need to be swapped out now.

old one coming out

62NMY.jpg

new one going in

fW0L5.jpg

all together running

QDJgy.jpg

dont mind my blue coil pack i had suspected it of having a crack and arking and coated it with a tube of silicon because i had no money at the time and it was not even the issue so its just blue now.

Edited by sirtokesalot