Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I get 21mpg in town but only about 23 on a haighway. Forester 2007/86k, new tires, front pads and calipers.  Planning to replace few more things.

What else - except replacing: spark plugs, cables and air filter could be done/checked to improve MPG ?

Arthur

Edited by sadarahu

+1

And not being condescending, just take it or leave it :) :

Anything above 60 decreases MPG (except a good tail wind or downhill).

Math/physics for the day: "drag should be proportional to the square of speed" 

FuelEconomy.gov states 25 Auto/26 5-speed on the highway, but 27-28 should be doable.

Roof-top carrier? They're not so good for MPG either.

try to drive more 'smoothly' - train yourself look further up the road and make gradual adjustments to speed, especially acceleration.

keep tires properly inflated. If you are like me and don't check them often enough - put and extra 2-3 lbs of pressure in. Make sure the tires are the same size listed on the door-card.

don't drive with the roof rail cross bars installed.

do not carry a bunch of tools or other gear, lighten the vehicle as much as possible.

using the a/c is more efficient AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS than driving with windows down. keep windows up over 50mph if possible.

no jackrabbit starts from a stop.

if you are making short trips or are mostly on side streets, mileage will suffer a lot.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for suggestions but I'm 60years o and do not drive like crazy.  Of course when I can go 85 I do but this isn't often. I was asking for what can I do with the car. Is there anything except what I've listed to check ? I don't think I need an advice how to drive. Not sure how the MPG given by factory was calculated (speeds etc.) but on average I'm not making what is factory average so I was wondering if I can improve it but checking or replacing something in a car. Of course driving habits affect this but I do not need advice in this subject but rather technical help.

I would also appreciate if anybody who has that model/year could post some readings here.

lmdew - your suggestion was rather rude :-(

I'm not "all other folks..."

DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER !

Didn't sound rude, we can take jabs at neighboring states and laugh a little! You could have inferred from the second comment that you should have bought a different car....but you didn't.

mpg is variable and hard to discern if it's a mechanical issue or driving environment.

Your numbers don't look far off from what others are reporting here: 21.8-22.9 mpg in 2005-2009 forester:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/forester

You don't drive fast - check.

Ae you calculating or looking at an oboard read out?

Winter blend gas? Companies can legally start brewing that in September i think it is?

Check the rear brake slide pins for smooth sliding.

Front O2 sensor

Tire pressure

Alignment - if it was bad enough to cause significant mpg issue you should be seeing excessive tire wear

Remove roof rack

Edited by grossgary

there's a dedicated Forester Forum, those guys could probably tell you how much your car varies from the average.

you might check the inner tie rods and get an alignment. any vibration at the tire or misalignment could affect mileage a little.

I'm 61 - can't wait to get my WRX back so I can zoom around. I like cruising in the wife's Outback, but it's a pig in the corners lol!

Back on the original question. Plugs, wires and air filter are a good start. Add to that a fuel filter and a can of sea foam. Sea foam is great for keeping the injectors clean and restoring lost horsepower.

But there's nothing wrong with your car. That 27mpg is the optimal. Other than a long road trip in ideal conditions with an empty car an no hills, you will probably never see that kind of fuel economy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well I was wrong on my MPG initially. I used wrong settings in my calculation program so now when I corrected it I get around 23-23 on the highway. It seems to be a little lower than average factory data.

Subaru Fanatic - can you please send some link to "sea foam", never herd of that...

CNY_Dave - not sure what you asking me but if you asking about transmission I'm about to change the fluid so would be happy to see any recommendations. I found this on Amazon and I'm almost ready to purchase it but not sure how much I need.

The best mileage is yet to come, after 100K+ FWIW; new filters all around & especially PCV. I run my tires 4+lbs higher than specs. No crossbars helps 4sure, I don't use cruise or the AC very often and I'm 70% hi-way time. I never used Seafoam but will run Techron or other brand additives a few times a year.  My 04 mt Foz gets 28+ on my high% hi-way runs,(sometimes 30). I don't spend a lot of time over 65mph unless the doctor prescribes or I feel the need.... I'm over 206K and it actually got better after 175K. Go figure?

I have a 2002 Forester, and am getting about the same results for MPG, maybe a little more (most of my driving is rural roads, not city, or freeway), but not by much, and I did not expect it to be otherwise.

the Forester is taller/more vertical in the front than a Legacy/Outback meaning more wind resistance - this has a negative impact on fuel economy.

Removing the crossbars on the roof rack may help a little, but it is not going to be by much.

And yes, winter blend gas is also an mpg killer... <_<  being in the Chicago area, you are most likely getting winter blend now

Keeping it in tiptop running condition is the best you can do to try to improve fuel mileage. clean filters, good plugs/wires for the best combustion, tires properly inflated. That is about the best you can do.

If you want higher fuel mileage you will need to look at something else - something without AWD.

Me - I will keep my Subaru, and it's AWD, and live with the reasonable mid 20s MPGs